Hood & Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently purchased a used 55 gallon. The hood and lights it came with weren't in very good condition. So I went out and bought 2-24 Aqueon Hood and Light. There is a small space (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch) between the 2 hoods, and they are a little wider then my tank. So I have the back of the hoods proped up on the top of the tank and the front is sitting where it need to. I want to know if this is ok, or if I need to get better fitting hoods?? I looked into to getting 2-24 inch glass cover and getting 1-48 inch Fluorescent light fixture or a LED light fixture. I am worried about the evaporation. I don't mind how the 2 Aqueon hood and lights look, because you can't really see that the back is proped up a little. Just want to make sure it is doing what it is suppose to, and the space between the 2 hoods isn't an issue??????

Would like some feed back on my options and what everyone thinks I should or could do???

I would take those back if you can. It sounds like they may fall into the water If they are propped up at the back. They could easily be pushed off the front and into the water. I would be worried about you getting electrocuted that way.

You can DIY some LED's pretty cheaply. I'll find the link to that if you want.

Also, do you plan on adding live plants? If so you probably want a new hood? If not then you should be fine, as long as your positive it won't fall in.
Good luck

Also, do you plan on adding live plants? If so you probably want a new hood? If not then you should be fine, as long as your positive it won't fall in.
Good luck

I don't think it will fall in. But guess i better double check that. And I don't plan on adding live plants. I may just wait a while until I can find something that will completely cover it. I just don't like the small gap between the 2 hoods or having to prop the back up.

I think the top of my tank is actually for a lizard tank. It is just a screen basically. I don't like it but it works

I measured my tank today and from where the hood rest from end to end it is 46 3/4 inch. So I was thinking about getting a 30 inch and a 16 inch glass top. And a 48 inch light. There would still be a small gap between the 2 tops but you wouldn't be able to see it unless you were standing looking down at it. What do you all think about this.

I measured my tank today and from where the hood rest from end to end it is 46 3/4 inch. So I was thinking about getting a 30 inch and a 16 inch glass top. And a 48 inch light. There would still be a small gap between the 2 tops but you wouldn't be able to see it unless you were standing looking down at it. What do you all think about this.

Sounds good. Just make sure it fits flat on the tank, and you don't have to prop it up. I don't want you to be the next guy on 1000 Ways to Die.

Sounds good. Just make sure it fits flat on the tank, and you don't have to prop it up. I don't want you to be the next guy on 1000 Ways to Die.

Amen to that. I measure my tank so I know what I need exactly. So just have to measure whatever i get.

Back
Top Bottom