Hope this makes sense...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have malawi tank with about 8 plants and none of them have been too disturbed. I also have an onion plant and this is one of the best for cichlids.
I also have no gravel only argon sand.
And each day I add fertiliser and carbon.
That's all.
Hope this helps aswell.

Convict, dont use gravel...I started my first cichlid tank with gravel and I was having a really hard time keeping nitrates down. The gravel holds the good and the bad stuff. Its very nice to look at but sand is what Mbunas need. A few weeks ago I switched to black diamond blasting media. Its 6 bucks for a 50 lb bag. Now you have to wash the crud out of this stuff. Its got almost an oily residue on it. But after you clean it its very very nice. And by far the cheapest substrate. Ill tell you what else I noticed when I switched to sand. My Mbuna got crazy active...They are pushing, digging, scooping and spitting this sand all over the place. They are digging holes under rocks and making hideouts. They look like they are really having fun moving it all around. They didnt do any of that with gravel. Now clean up is a bit of a learning curve. I acutally have bettet luck cleaning it with just the hose that came with my python. I get the syphon started and go for the detrirus. If you give a little swirl above the poo it sort of tornados up and gets sucked away. Once you figure it out its easier than pushing down in the gravel to get the poo. Sand needs to be stirred every so often so dont make it too thick. Like 2 inches max. Lots of good info out there so google it. But I promise you that you and your fish will like sand better.

Justin

Jmedic25 said:
Convict, dont use gravel...I started my first cichlid tank with gravel and I was having a really hard time keeping nitrates down. The gravel holds the good and the bad stuff. Its very nice to look at but sand is what Mbunas need. A few weeks ago I switched to black diamond blasting media. Its 6 bucks for a 50 lb bag. Now you have to wash the crud out of this stuff. Its got almost an oily residue on it. But after you clean it its very very nice. And by far the cheapest substrate. Ill tell you what else I noticed when I switched to sand. My Mbuna got crazy active...They are pushing, digging, scooping and spitting this sand all over the place. They are digging holes under rocks and making hideouts. They look like they are really having fun moving it all around. They didnt do any of that with gravel. Now clean up is a bit of a learning curve. I acutally have bettet luck cleaning it with just the hose that came with my python. I get the syphon started and go for the detrirus. If you give a little swirl above the poo it sort of tornados up and gets sucked away. Once you figure it out its easier than pushing down in the gravel to get the poo. Sand needs to be stirred every so often so dont make it too thick. Like 2 inches max. Lots of good info out there so google it. But I promise you that you and your fish will like sand better.

Justin

Thanks for all the info, I just have so much gravel left over. I may just go with what I have. We'll see though.

Thank you

One thing I have to add is (depending on the kind of blasting sand) it can be very sharp. One thing to look out for especially if your fish are digging in it and putting it in their mouths.

Mumma.of.two said:
One thing I have to add is (depending on the kind of blasting sand) it can be very sharp. One thing to look out for especially if your fish are digging in it and putting it in their mouths.

Once again, thank you Mumma!! I'm gonna stick with gravel and get those root things you had mentioned for the plants.

Mumma.of.two said:
What plants are you getting? I think I missed that part. :D

Some type of Anubias, you told me about the root thing to get at my LFS. That was you right? Or is there fish on my brain? LoL :)

Convict2161 said:
Some type of Anubias, you told me about the root thing to get at my LFS. That was you right? Or is there fish on my brain? LoL :)

Yeah that was me :) Anubias get tied onto wood and rocks so you won't need the root tabs :D maybe some liquid ferts but they are pretty hard to kill.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yeah that was me :) Anubias get tied onto wood and rocks so you won't need the root tabs :D maybe some liquid ferts but they are pretty hard to kill.

Hard to kill? Sounds like my kind of plant! :) what about light? I have the marineland DB LED.

Back
Top Bottom