Hopeful Zero Cycle Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...enance-tank-questions-201494.html#post1884695
I am trying to decide on keeping my filter as is or running it as a sponge filter.
Have you ever considered stocking scuds? If you do fish is out of the question. But they will help create some biodiversity. And they will also help with tank maintenance as they are detrivores and will consume mulm. I recently introduced them to my project. And there is a very noticable difference as They help process the waste from snails and other decaying matter wiithin the tank.
What is a scud?

aquaponicpaw said:
Have you ever considered stocking scuds? If you do fish is out of the question. But they will help create some biodiversity. And they will also help with tank maintenance as they are detrivores and will consume mulm. I recently introduced them to my project. And there is a very noticable difference as They help process the waste from snails and other decaying matter wiithin the tank.

Scuds, if I recall properly, only eat the lowest of the low. Poop ect.

They're flat, colorless creatures, but quite interesting.

How big do they get? I'd certainly get one, but I thought they got over 6 inches. Please tell me more!

GodFan said:
This is my thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/sleek-low-maintenance-tank-questions-201494.html#post1884695
I am trying to decide on keeping my filter as is or running it as a sponge filter.

What is a scud?

Pardon me for being lazy, I'll respond here xD.

I like hob filters. They're sleeker than sponge filters because you are focused on what is inside the tank. Duckweed is considered a nuisance but you may like it because it will suck out the crap in your water.

I wouldn't want a sponge filter in a planted tank. No mechanical filtration.

MABJ said:

How big do they get? I'd certainly get one, but I thought they got over 6 inches. Please tell me more!

Im thinking of a fish I heard about long ago.

Please tell me more about the shrimp, however.

Pardon me for being lazy, I'll respond here xD.

I like hob filters. They're sleeker than sponge filters because you are focused on what is inside the tank. Duckweed is considered a nuisance but you may like it because it will suck out the crap in your water.

I wouldn't want a sponge filter in a planted tank. No mechanical filtration.
ok thanks. I actually dont have any mechanical filtration as is because I dont have a cartridge in the filter lol

GodFan said:
ok thanks. I actually dont have any mechanical filtration as is because I dont have a cartridge in the filter lol

>_____< kinda defeats the purpose. Lol.

You don't have filter floss?

>_____< kinda defeats the purpose. Lol.

You don't have filter floss?
I havent put any in. I have to DIY it because I refuse to buy the expensive and useless premade ones. I do have a a built in sponge on the motor though so it is cycled.

Lol we have plenty. I mean plastic steel wool would do. :p

Okay -- I'm coming back to the tank tomorrow and a new set of plants should be there.

I may *MAY* go get one of the tiny .5 gallon cubes they sell for bettas. And use it for overflow and creating a small zen garden tank lol.

I will be ordering the stocking soon, and in the invert thread, I asked if RCS babes would have a chance against the chili rasboras in my tank. If not, I'll skip the chilis. I can always do them another time.

Comments?

I was also semi interested (I'm sure there would be a male and female chili) if they breed and scatter eggs, would all be eaten by RCS?

I was hoping for survival of the fittest, not annihilation lol.

MABJ said:
Okay -- I'm coming back to the tank tomorrow and a new set of plants should be there.

I may *MAY* go get one of the tiny .5 gallon cubes they sell for bettas. And use it for overflow and creating a small zen garden tank lol.

I will be ordering the stocking soon, and in the invert thread, I asked if RCS babes would have a chance against the chili rasboras in my tank. If not, I'll skip the chilis. I can always do them another time.

Comments?

I was also semi interested (I'm sure there would be a male and female chili) if they breed and scatter eggs, would all be eaten by RCS?

I was hoping for survival of the fittest, not annihilation lol.

Chili rasboras may breed in home aquaria, but I've read that the babies need extremely low pH to grow. Like 5.5 I believe? Chances are I'm wrong on that number lol :p

sure thign! at least the chillis are not big enough to eat the shrimp, lol. I don't ever keep shrimp in breeding tanks, they are industrious and opportunistic little guys and eggs are just too much for them to resist, I am afraid.
Posted by msjinkzd on another forum

Sorry it took so long to reply. they are hard to get pics of: think roly poly bugs but much smaller. they are entirely aquatic. range in color from almost clear to near black. and they swim very erraticly. You probably won't be able to sustain a colony with fish in the same tank unless it's some type of herbivore.You can see one resting on the pebble to the left in first pic.

While waiting to photo the scuds I found some unknown Fish fry in the tank. funny because I removed all the fish around a month ago. And none bore any indication of carrying.

Attachments

• IMG650.jpg
    IMG650.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG636.jpg
    IMG636.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 54
Are scuds tiny round balls that swim? I think I had some.

Oh dear!

I got plants from jetajockey today.

I planted what I could, I threw some away (They just wouldn't fit in the aquarium! :|)

But his plants are great! I threw in the duckweed and salvinia, and I'm thinking it may have been a mistake? My filter pushes it down, then the intake sucks it up..... I turned the flow way down, but it isn't doing much filtering that way.

What do I do?! Lol! This was inevitable :p.

I'll post pictures soon. ADVICE PLEASE!

I like the Salvinia, but the duckweed scares me that it will clog my filter.. What should I do, guys? Lol.

OK I think I know what I have to do.

I have to make a DIY filter flow "guard"

Ideas on how to do it? I can let the filter not run for a while.. but not long.

MABJ said:
OK I think I know what I have to do.

I have to make a DIY filter flow "guard"

Ideas on how to do it? I can let the filter not run for a while.. but not long.

Put something in front of the filter outflow so it doesn't push anything down. You can let it not run for up to 30 minutes IMO.

Cut a 20 ounce soda bottle top/bottom off cut it down the side. You wrap it around your filter it will divert the flow to the left and right instead of the front and down. Well depending on your filter size, you may need a 1 liter or even a 2 liter sized bottle.

Back
Top Bottom