Hospitalised my shubunkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks, this is my first post here (and on any forum for abt 10 years) so I hope I don't mess up. Wasn't sure if I should put this post in Unwell Fish or here but...

Long story short is that about four days ago I noticed my biggest shubunkin gasping up at the top of my pond, half lying on the plants - but when i moved some plants to investigate he zoomed off. Next day it happened again, and yesterday he was surfacing probably once an hour. I tested the water, which was fine, so then I scooped him up in a clear salad bowl to have a look at him.

Looks like he's got an ulcer between his vent and? Pelvic fins? I'm not sure of the correct terminology. Either way I panicked and shot out to buy some medication and a hospital tank for him (I don't know the exact volume of my pond & don't want to accidentally poison anything else in my pond which is all very healthy)

I set up the tank last night and gave the pump a cursory run, and this morning transfered & medicated my fish. I have been running the pump intermittently to get some oxygen into the water but i dont want to tire him out because he's used to lazing around a pond with no strong currents.

So far he hasn't surfaced again but the ph level in there has steadily risen over the day, which makes sense... I'd like to do a partial water change but I'm not sure if that will mess up the medicine concentration...

Basically I'm terrified now that I've wrecked my poor fish's chances of survival by tanking him and wondering if anyone has any tips from similar situations? I feel really daft :ermm:

Thanks for reading my post :)

you can buy airline control valve to control the amount of air into the tank.

The fish can take a higher ph . You should have used your pond water for the QT tank.

The ph needs to rise slowly not fast. Fish can get ph shock.

Hope your fish responds to the meds.

Thanks idol - I did use pond water, and a control valve is a great idea :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom