HOT Magnum (instead of carbon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxmoorishmanxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right now in my magnum i use carbon, to filter a 20L. I would however prefer to have a back up, as i dont like tojust use carbon filtration, i was wondering if anyone has used cermaic or other media in a magnum (in the basket) with carbon to create biological filtration.

THANX

I'm not really familiar with the HOT Magnum but I believe all cannister filters should be capable of providing mechanical, bilogical and chemical filtration. If there's a basket, get some ceramic rings.

thats what i was thinking but the basket isnt seperated for different types of filtartion, would it be bad to mix carbon with the rings, putting carbon on the bottom and setting th erings on top

I use the ceramic and have seen some positive results in water quality. I'ts worth a try, thats for sure.

You could do that but.............place your carbon in a mesh bag. This way you'll be able to change it without it getting all over the ceramic rings. :wink:

I have a HOT Magnum filter for my 46 gallon and it works great. For biological filtration there is a filter called a Bio Wheel Pro 30 or 60 that easily connects to your HOT Magnum, which create biological filtration. It runs around $30 or so, depends on where you shop around. You can also look it up on the internet.

You don't need to run carbon all the time on your tank. Carbon is for removing meds and such from your tank. Just use the ceramic rings and no carbon.

not the best the FGG. I have almost all my carbon removed from my tank as Carbon also eliminates essential nutrients needed for plant growth. On a scientific level, Carbon is only active for a maximum of about 3 days. so unless you change your carbon every 3 days, why use it?

It does its job if used properly 2-6 weeks depending on bio load.

I am trying to keep fish not plants. :) besides that there are plenty of live plants that do not require massive amounts of fine solids and pollutants in the tank.

NAME the things it takes out of the water BTW ?

If you dont use it and then start using it then yes it will fill up faster because of all the pollutants and solids still in your tank. ;)

I cant sit here and listen to mis information about carbon it drives me nuts to say the least. ;)

Heres a list of what i can remove and how well.

Absorption Potential of Various Substances by Activated Carbon

High to very good

Arsenic, bleach, chloramine, chlorine, chromium, colors, dyes, gold, insecticide, odors, monochloramine, tin

Good to Moderate

Acetic acid, cobalt, detergent, hydrogen sulfide, mercury, ozone, potassium, silver, soap, solvents, vinegar

Fair

Copper, iron (not chelated), lead nickel, titanium, vanadium

Low to None

Alkalinity, ammonia, barium, carbon dioxide, hardness, copper, manganese, nitrates, selenium, molybdenum, zinc

http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/carbon.html

Even good carbons add some phosphate which I beleive is used by some plants??

i know a lot abot carbon thank you i have been useing it on my sw tank for 5 years, i just hate as i stated in th efirst post to rely on one type of filtration

the ceramic rings work also you could put a sponge filter on the water intake for more bio filtration.

Back
Top Bottom