HOT skimmer/bio filter - now should I ditch the canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RnBMum

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought myself a CPR Bak Pak 2+ and will be picking it up tomorrow to replace a SeaClone piece of crap.

Now, my tank and stand will not accommodate a sump, so until now I have been running only a canister filter with fibrous pads, bio balls and ceramic biomedia in it. With the new skimmer coming, should I discontinue using the canister outright?

I have heard them referred to as "nitrate factories", and judging by personal experience, I believe it to be true.

If you'd suggest I keep the canister, even if just to contribute to flow, what should I use in it?

Also, I have a PhosBan reactor sitting with the rest of the equipment I am not using - would you recommend I get it up and running? I only have a 36 gallon tank - how much media should I have in it, and do you have a specific brand you would suggest?

Instead of setting up the reactor, might I be wise to put a bag of GFO or other media into the canister filter?

Thanks in advance.

You can discontinue, but if you are rinsing out the canister weekly it shouldn't be a nitrate factory.
Keep the reactor. Reactors are much more effective at running media than a canister or any other means of media.

Back
Top Bottom