Hot-Tub Pond Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazyhermitcrab

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello. I am 14. I am making my first koi pond. I am converting my 1,099 gallon hot tub into a cold water/koi pond.
I will use this thread to post pictures and explain the steps.
I am making a homemade filter with a very strong pump.
Any ideas for plants?

It depends on the region in which you live. Many pond plants are strictly 'seasonal' in northern regions. The same plants are illegal in more southern locales. Marginal plants would need a high shelf. A good place to start would be your local pond store to see what type of plants are available in your area and how to properly care for them.

It depends on the region in which you live. Many pond plants are strictly 'seasonal' in northern regions. The same plants are illegal in more southern locales. Marginal plants would need a high shelf. A good place to start would be your local pond store to see what type of plants are available in your area and how to properly care for them.

I live in NJ it's very very very cold in winter and very very very hot in summer.

I think native species would be better because if your summers get really hot, the koi would produce more waste in warmer water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

On Saturday me and my brother drained and scrubbed the hot tub. Then we power washed it :dance: it's clean and almost ready for fish!!! :lol:

We bought all the supplies for the filter.
-25 gallon tote
-filter media
-Pump
-Valves
-tubing

We also bought river pebbles for the pond.
When I say we. I mean I am using my graduation money :blink:

I* ordered sodium thiosulfate and a pound of goldfish food.
We still have a lot of work to do...

Now I just need to plug the jets.

And cycle....

And make the filter......

And get plants.....

And fish......

We are going to go "fishing" in the next few days to collect some native fish and plants. We want a turtle :eek:
:fish1::fish1::fish1:

Sounds like things are moving along nicely!

Just a bit of advice here but if you wish to have fish, avoid turtles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom