How accurate is AqAdvisor's filtration capacity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
In your experience, how accurate is AqAdvisor's filtration capacity percentage? I know AqAdvisor is conservative, what's the lowest percentage you think would be sufficient?

Honestly, just don't use that. I'm not really sure how they calculate it but here's a better metric: Just use a filter that moves 5-10 times the volume of your tank in gallons per hour. If you're going for messy fish (like puffers), lean towards 10 times. (So for a 55, 550 gallons per hour)

Honestly, just don't use that. I'm not really sure how they calculate it but here's a better metric: Just use a filter that moves 5-10 times the volume of your tank in gallons per hour. If you're going for messy fish (like puffers), lean towards 10 times. (So for a 55, 550 gallons per hour)

This is what I do ^

With the puffer(as seen in the other thread) you may want to use a pantyhose or DIY method to block/disperse the flow. Puffers are not strong swimmers. This helps them and you don't sacrifice GPH.

Generally you want x10 turnover or more.

Caleb

Aqadvisor's filtration capacity is 100% useless. Feel free to completely ignore it.

Filtration is subjective, it must be a minimum to convert your ammonia and nitrites to nitrates but can be much larger, or split between two or three filters.
I stock heavily and use two canister filters, each moving about x10 per hour. They each get cleaned every 4 weeks, staggered 2 weeks apart.
AqAdvisor quotes I am at 400% filtration but my experience with the tank says otherwise.
There is no absolute right amount of filtration but there can be too little, your test kit will show up any under filtration.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do I still need to have 10x with a canister filter? I was going to get a Fluval 306 (303 gph) for my 55 gallon figure 8 puffer tank (maybe 5 puffers max eventually as a high end estimate). Would that work?

Even the Fluval 406 only has 383 gph and thats $200. It just seems a little excessive that it wouldn't be adequate?

Do I still need to have 10x with a canister filter? I was going to get a Fluval 306 (303 gph) for my 55 gallon figure 8 puffer tank (maybe 5 puffers max eventually as a high end estimate). Would that work?

Even the Fluval 406 only has 383 gph and thats $200. It just seems a little excessive that it wouldn't be adequate?

You don't need 10x the tank volume in flow per hour. Instead, that's actually the uppermost limit of what you should shoot for in a freshwater tank. Going above that you should pick your stock out of fish that can tolerate high flow.

I personally prefer the higher flow rate, but as far as keeping the water safe and ammonia free I wouldn't go below 3x the tank volume per hour.

You don't need 10x the tank volume in flow per hour. Instead, that's actually the uppermost limit of what you should shoot for in a freshwater tank. Going above that you should pick your stock out of fish that can tolerate high flow.

I personally prefer the higher flow rate, but as far as keeping the water safe and ammonia free I wouldn't go below 3x the tank volume per hour.

Awesome, thank you! So I should be fine with the 306 and won't need the 406?

The difference in filters usually just had more to do with gallons per hour which you can boost with cheaper power heads and space for extra media which you usually don't need anyways. The bio filtration in all these is pretty amazing. Only the tiniest 5 gal ones are not enough usually.

Keep in mind that the GPH that the manufacturer lists is higher than what you're likely to see. They run their tests with no filter media and very little tubing (in the case of canisters).

Keep in mind that the GPH that the manufacturer lists is higher than what you're likely to see. They run their tests with no filter media and very little tubing (in the case of canisters).

I think that Aq Advisor assumes that the filters work at about 67% of their stated flow rate. I don't know much more about their calculations and am skeptical.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So how do I figure out how many fish I can put in the tank with a fluval 306? They are figure 8 puffers and it's 55g as a reminder.

So how do I figure out how many fish I can put in the tank with a fluval 306? They are figure 8 puffers and it's 55g as a reminder.

Just go with the Aqadvisor estimate (im not sure of there's anything specific needed for stocking puffers) and ignore the filtration measurement. I've never before seen a tank that didn't have enough filtration to handle the bioload of a tank.

Back
Top Bottom