How aggressive are these mbuna? (Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisa67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted pics of two mbuna that I have in my tank (on another forum) asking for ID. The blue/black fish was thought to be a Johnnie and the black/white was thought to be an Auratus... both very aggressive from what I have been told.

After further research, I think that they are actually a Maingano and a parallelus.

So, what I'm trying to find out is, are Mangano and parallelus relatively peaceful mbuna? (I realize this is relative and mbuna are aggressive).

The reason that I am as concerned as I am is because several weeks ago when I stocked my tank I made the mistake of listening to the sales guy at the fish store who told me that I could put frontosa in with my mbuna. While I will rehome them if it becomes necessary, so far all is well and I'm trying to keep the most peaceful mbuna possible to avoid problems if at all possible. Attempting to post pics.

img_1286365_0_da288a67780938d7ae448a26affdc6cd.jpg

img_1286365_1_0df50d7d41f563146c224b63ff4ff4c0.jpg

The blue one is def an electric blue johanni, i have one. :) Mine doesnt cause too much of a ruckus but as you know with cichlids that could change overnight.

the second one does look like an auratus. cant be sure tho.

Thank you for your reply. Several people have said Johnnie, but if you look at the pics of a maingano they look extremely similar. The reason I'm not convinced that it is a Johnnie is that when I stocked my tank all the fish I bought were approx the same size. Nearly all of them are now bigger than this fish. Maingano tend to be smaller. Plus, he already was fully colored while others weren't. He's also one of the least aggressive in the tank (so far) and Johnnies are supposed to be very aggressive.
Well, perhaps just wishful thinking on my part... really want to keep him.

LOL I just upgraded to a 125g and all my mbuna were rehomed BUT my johanni and a red zebra ob. I just cant part with my "big blue". It looks identical to the one I have but I don't know the other species so you could be right. :)
I've had my johanni since last year and he's only bout 3 inches.

The second one is an Auratus. I have one with my mbuna and he is fine. Just watch for the aggression, it may not happen.

Ok, I will keep an eye on him. I thought Auratus had yellow on them. This one has no trace of yellow at all which is why I thought it was a parallelus.

Back
Top Bottom