How are the Coralife T5 units?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anybody have these? Does it have that parabolic reflector which makes T5 so efficient? I was gonna get a 48" lunar aqualight for my FOWLR 55g, but i'm thinking about the aqualight T5 fixture now. I figure for a FOWLR, this should be enough. It's a dual 28w fixture. Would one be enough, or should i get 2? It's cheap enough that i wouldn't mind springing for another one if it would be somewhat beneficial. The only bad thing is that it looks like you can't use the legs to raise it off the top. It seems to just have extenders on the side.

I have 4 on my 90g reef and love them. They do not get real hot and are pretty energy efficient compared to the other options. Everyone likes to compare WPG when talking about lighting which is not always acurate if not comparing like fixtures. These put out enough light that I equate each 56w fixture to about the output of a 130w pc.

I would think 2 would be a good match for your 55g fowlr. My corals are doing great under mine. With 2 fixtures you could even look at many soft corals and some anemone if you ever decide to go that route. Be careful though corals are addictive. :)

Good Luck,

So would you say that just one fixture would be enough for a FOWLR? Unfortunately, federal laws mandate that i only have a FOWLR...so no corals for me. Do you know if you can use those coralife legs to raise it off the top? Or can you only use those adjustable width things on the side?

I have had one for awhile and I just bought another yesterday and I like them alot. o alltogether I have 112 watts but from what I hear T5 is the newest thing and much better than the PC. I have mushrooms and they seem to be doing well. They LFS who I trust sai dI could get some leather corals and most anemone's Along with polyps and stuff like that. They put out really good looking light too. I would also like to know if you can use the leggs to lift it up. I dont like them sitting right on top of the water. They get to much salt on them.

Not sure about the legs as I just use the wire supports.

As for one fixture on a 55g FOWLR you can try it and see if you still get coraline growth. IMO for the cost two would still be better as many believe strong lighting also contributes to the health of the fish.

h8z2luze,

how big is your system? I have 4 on my 90G and my corals and anemome are trhriving. Like stated above I roughly equate each 56w fixture to a 130w pc, so I figure I have about the equivalent of 5.7 wpg. I know the math is not perfect, but the results are proof. I would never put a clam or stony under them, but for waht I have they work great. You can check my profile to see what corals I am keeping. My mushrooms are multiplying like crazy and my leathers have all at least doubled in size.

For what I want to do with the budget I have I do not think these can be beat.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom