how big can a pleco get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drprowant

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 55gal tank and was not sure how big he will get in it and how long it will take

About 2 feet. If its a standard everyday pleco. There are smaller varieties that stay small but they cost more. If your wanting one for algae control there are other options. otos are great.

Your other question about time is they take about about a year or 2 to get about 6 or 8 inches. They also like to eat wood. so you will need some of that.

That depends on the pleco. If you're talking about the common pleco, they'll get almost 2ft. There's a bunch of other kinds that stay small. My Yellow King Tiger will probably top out around 4 inches.

A 55 gallon tank will be too small for an adult common pleco. Depending on how he is fed, and how the water quality is maintained, he'd probably outgrow it within a year.

*Edit. We both posted at the same time*

ok cool thanks for the in put is it true that if you feed them cucumbers in there they will get big fast ?

I wouldnt say feeding them cucumbers will make there growth any faster.

I do agree with everyone about the getting to feet thing and they also need at least a 100 gallon or more (big waster producers)

Like said above, there are smaller varieties to choose from, one of the most common small varieties are the bristlenose pleco (get around 4-5 inches)

Plecos do need driftwood to keep there digestive track from getting consipated, but they dont exactly 'eat' it, but more of suck on.

Cucumbers and other fruits and vegatables are essential to its health and do help them grow.

cool thank you is it ok to just put e'm in there with the fish or do i have to do any thing first to it ?

------Derek

In my opinion and experience bristlenose plecos are the perfect pleco. They stay small (max 5-6"), they do well in almost any temp and type of water (soft, hard, etc.), they eat almost any type of algae, and they don't bother anything (plants, discus, fancy goldfish, etc.).

Plecos do not need fruits and vegetables necessarily. They do need a complete and balanced diet like any other fish though. This can be through a high quality pellet or through variety (including said fruits and veggies). I would consider driftwood essential to them though. They will eat it, and obviously love to hide in and on it.

The largest common plecos I have seen in person were 30-36" and I have heard reports of them getting larger.

so it has to be on the wall of the tank ?

-------Derek

Did you mean the fruit/veggie? It can be on the bottom or the side, but most stuff floats or gets pushed around the tank with the flow of the filter. I like to have it anchored to the very bottom of the wall, where it almost touches the gravel.

ok thank you how do i get them to eat stuff like that it has been in there for two days and i only seen them eat on it erly this morning am i doing something wrong ?

----Derek

You could try soaking the veggie in garlic juice and then see if he eats it, or you could try and shove some algae wafers in the fruit/veggie and see

You can get driftwood from LFS or online

I got my driftwood from my local fish stores, they don't have big pieces, but they normally carry beautiful medium and small size.

Back
Top Bottom