How big do peppered cory's get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bendy82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Afternoon all,
Ive been using this site for gathering information for about a year now and untill now ive been able to find the information I need.
Ive recently bought a school of 6 peppered cory's for my 2' tank. The dude who served me asked if i wanted 1 or 2 and looked a bit confused when I said they were a schooling species and should be kept in small shoals. Anyway I trusted what I had heard here.
My problem is I can't find how big they get. Ive searched the web and found anything from 2" to 4"! What I'd like to know is if they'll be happy in my tank and whether I'm now overstocked?
Thanks guys,

PS hopefully my tank details will appear in my sig

I believe your tank is a 20g Tall, not an 18g. Most sites I've seen say 2-3" on the peppered corries. So you're probably looking at 25-30" of adult fish in your tank. A bit overstocked, but I wouldn't think you'd have any problems. Keep up on the PWC and make sure you have adequate filtration.

Good news, thanks for the response!

My filter is a Fluval 2+ which is rated at 105gph so I think im ok on that score and I do a pwc of 20/25% a week.

Im glad i bought six now. They settled in pretty much straight away grazing the bottom together with the odd one dashing off for a little exploration here and there :)

When I first bought my cory, yes I only bought one. I did no research at all.
Kudos to you for doing your homework and making sure your fish will be happy.
I think for the size of the tank, 6 may be pushing the limit a bit, but keep up on your water changes and you will probably be ok. :D

I have 4 in my 75 gal. I only did that because of the snails, my sailfin pleco and the possibility exists that I will add more. :D

6 is a great number for schoaling and even though the fish per inch rule for your tank says oops, they are going to assist your filter's efficiency.

Perhaps we should eliminate the rule when you have good maintenance crews in FW? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom