How big should a tank be to breed in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I was going to get some fancy guppies to breed and I decided to get a filter and heater for a 2.5 gal tank and put a male and femal in it to have sex and then leave the female in there to give birth. I will fence around the filter but I was wondering if this is ok. I would put the surviving babies in my ten gal when mature. And also is inbreeding an issue? Cas I don't want to accidentally screw with the gene pool. So can anyone help me?

you could go to aqadvisor.com for a rough estimate, and I would definately do 1-2 PWC's a week, but not sure on that, GL

Tasha said:
you could go to aqadvisor.com for a rough estimate, and I would definately do 1-2 PWC's a week, but not sure on that, GL

What's a pwc? A water change? I do that about once a month in my ten gal

What's a pwc? A water change? I do that about once a month in my ten gal

yes is a "partial water change" Most people get them into their routine and do them weekly.

I check my levles, vac if needed and do a 40-50% pwc everyweekend on all 3 of my tanks. More if there are issues.

a 2.5 gallon would need VERY regular and frequent pwc's imo, even at that im not sure it would work, someone with more experience would have to answer that.

Thats a small tankeep, how many fish are in it? Is it cycled? How big is the filter?

GuppyLover said:
Thats a small tankeep, how many fish are in it? Is it cycled? How big is the filter?

Well none I was goin to use it to breed fancy guppies I was only going to put 2 fish in it

Well there are a few flaws in your planned. You need a filter AND heater. You can't order a small sponge filter for $ 5 tops and a heater for around $ 15.

GuppyLover said:
Well there are a few flaws in your planned. You need a filter AND heater. You can't order a small sponge filter for $ 5 tops and a heater for around $ 15.

Actualy I planned that from the start cas I didn't want to make the tank balanced. Also do u mean can or can't in ur last statement?

I meant can. sorry it is the stupid autocorrect one my droidx.

GuppyLover said:
I meant can. sorry it is the stupid autocorrect one my droidx.

Kk I will try to get it but what is a sponge filter? I was goin to get an xsmall aqueon filter

A sponge filter is a small filter with a sponge over it, so it wont suck up your fry

Let me know how you make out. If you cant find one I know a few good sites where you can't get one.

Did you cycle it? Check out the link in my sig on fishless cycling. It'll help your fry/fish live.

Homedog98 said:
Did you cycle it? Check out the link in my sig on fishless cycling. It'll help your fry/fish live.

I can't but I have a book on it so I'll do wat the book says thanks for reminding me btw

Back
Top Bottom