How Close is My Guppy to Giving Birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guppy Fry Pics - My 7

Sorry, I was on the iPad earlier locked in the bedroom with my dogs while the water guy came to change our meter. So, here are the pictures, the best I could get. These are from Sunday morning. I swear I need new ones already as I swear they have already grown since Sunday. LOL My other fry are very interested in them. I'm afraid to let them loose in that tank yet since they are sooo tiny and I don't want to take a chance.

Attachments

• IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2501.jpg
    IMG_2501.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 60
Some more pics

Attachments

• IMG_2506.jpg
    IMG_2506.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2507.jpg
    IMG_2507.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2510.jpg
    IMG_2510.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 59
They are getting bigger. They are still pretty tiny. They are only about 4 weeks old and the black mollies about week behind (I guess on the black ones). I have a bumble bee and knight goby that would eat them up if they got a chance, so I am playing it safe a bit longer.

Ah yeah they def would treat them as a snack :) they are all very cute and i love the dalmations .. i have dalmations myself. Starting to think that the mollies i have are just fat ive been waiting for weeks for them to give birth :/ but i do now have a guppy that i believe is pregnant just cant tell how long and i cant get very good quality pics on my phone

As you can see the spot near the anal fin is very dark and to me she looks square but im not positive ... i bought her like this.. shes small so i thunk she is pretty youung

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130507_224109.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130507_224109.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 58
My guppy is pretty small, too, but she got really big. Not as big as some of the pics I have seen, but I did realize how more square she was when she was ready, but she still has babies in her! I got the 7 and she's still black back there. I have no idea... I have 3 other female guppies. All pregnant, too. 1 is ready to pop as well. She's all squared off an big for her size as she's small as well. It's hard to tell in your picture, but I wasn't sure what square meant til I seen her back end look like a right angle. The front never really looked squared off to me. I can tell the difference between round at the bottom and a straight line, but not the chest part yet. My mollies, I had no idea. I had no idea which one had them. One was fat when I got her and she got sick and gave birth to dead fry. I had her 6 weeks when she did that and she was huge when I got her. The other molly never really looked big to me and neither did the black one, but yet I found baby black molly fry when I was cleaning the tank. Surprise. I caught 5. 1 or 2 got a way and I don't know how many more were still hiding or are or got ate by now or what. I wonder how long it takes for fry to come out into the main tank with the other fish to feed so you know you have a new one in there?

If none have popped up they are prolly dead. Fry are very fearless mine come upo the top wirhin minutes then i coop them out

That's how the dalmation molly fry was. I found them at the top, along the bottom, swimming across the tank, hiding in the middle in rocks. But the black molly fry, I never seen any of them ever. It wasn't until I was cleaning and I moved a fake plant that they all swam to a corner and I grabbed a net and scooped them out, but I missed some and they got away. I never seen them again or in the beginning.

As you can see the spot near the anal fin is very dark and to me she looks square but im not positive ... i bought her like this.. shes small so i thunk she is pretty youung

She can have babies even at a fairly young age and small size. With massive number of all sexes of guppies, they are pregnant for awhile, over and over again!

The pic is hard to tell how square. She will look almost cube-like! And babies will be out in maybe 24 hours, unless she gets stressed could cause a delay. Big/long poop usually too. lol will seem to be pretty hungry and then seem to go away from the busyness in the tank.

Hi,I'm new to guppies and when i got these 2 for cycling [1 male 1 female]they were both still pretty young and the female is already really close to squaring off.i plan to get a breeding box as soon as i can so that i can save some fry when she pops.will my fry really need a breeder box or will 1 or2 survive in the many hiding places in my tank.

You should keep them in the breeder box. Some will die soon after birth and you will be able to scoop them out easier from the box and more will survive. The parents will eat whatever they find

Hi,I'm new to guppies and when i got these 2 for cycling [1 male 1 female]they were both still pretty young and the female is already really close to squaring off.i plan to get a breeding box as soon as i can so that i can save some fry when she pops.will my fry really need a breeder box or will 1 or2 survive in the many hiding places in my tank.

I would add some loose plants at the top of the tank for cover as well. Feed the guppies tiny amounts frequently a few times a day for a couple of days, when she is giving birth, so they won't be as hungry for live food/babies.

I would add some loose plants at the top of the tank for cover as well. Feed the guppies tiny amounts frequently a few times a day for a couple of days, when she is giving birth, so they won't be as hungry for live food/babies.

Definitely add loose plants because the fry will come to the top when they are ready to eat and mommy and daddy will see them as a tasty treat

I read guppies fast for like 12 hours or so when ready, but after will eat their young. Other fish will eat the fry, too. Mine were born in the box. It worked great. And mom didnt mind being in there as the boys were driving her tomexhaustion.

Back
Top Bottom