How cold is too cold to order plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
My male molly has developed a plant eating habit. I lost a downii and water sprite to him. I wasn't sure who it was until this morning. I had one water sprite plant left behind a stone fixture that had finally reached above the rock. I caught the male molly eating the leaves this morning. He has duckweed and water lettuce but evidently it isn't as tasty because he ignores it. I do add plant wafers for the snails and he eats those also.

I redid my 29 gallon and now it looks empty. My existing plants took a nose dive because I cannot leave the tank alone.:banghead: I need/want more plants but we have snow here. Would anything I ordered off the classifieds or Aquabid stand a chance of arrive intact? I am talking 30's to 40 degree daytime and a lot colder temps at night. I am making a trip to Petsmart next month but there plants are high and not much selection. It is a brand new store.

If the seller packages it right, you should be fine as long as they are not left in the mailbox all day. I just have my plants delivered to work to avoid that. If your concerned you can always have them add a heat pack if they are willing

Another option is to use a more expensive (ie faster) shipping option and/or have it held at the PO. Heat packs also help immensely.

I never thought to have it held at the PO. That would probably be the best. Our home delivery is erratic in the country. You never know where your packages will be left. LOL Or when they will actually arrive. Will have to ordered soon though because or PO office is being shut down.

It's an option that the shipping party has to specify I believe. I know Bob's Tropical Plants has a separate option for it, and other shippers can probably do it on request as well.

As long as the seller uses a heat pack, priority would be fine from just about anywhere IMO. Faster shipping options are a good choice, but can get really pricey quickly.

My temps here in PA have been getting down to 16° at night and I just had sensitive plants delivered today even with a holiday delay in perfect condition. The shipper used a heat pack, however.

Leaving the package at the PO is a nice option if it is available.

I had a plant order arrive in mid January with temps in the teens. No heat packs. Shipment left PO around 6 am and arrived after 1 pm. Distance less than 10 miles :( Plants were very cold but they survived. I suspect they rode around in the unheated portion of the truck for several hours.

I strongly suggest against using heat packs for plant shipments. Heat kills plants quickly so in most cases it's really not warranted and can cause more issues than it solves. They are fine in low temps (think about the produce aisle at the grocery store) as long as they don't freeze. Packaged well insulated and they should be just fine as long as they don't sit out all day, as mentioned.

I had a load of blyxa mostly melt on me about a month ago. It was probably in the mid-40s when I finally got it. It's a gamble w/o a heat pack or P/O pickup.

I have been keeping an eye on the classifieds but it seems that plant sales have almost stopped. I guess no one wants to take the chance with the cold. I was hoping my local small pet place would get more but she said she just doesn't have the turnover she needs to stock live plants. I am scoping out aquabid for something different than what I have now.

Back
Top Bottom