How: Conditioning aquatic life to be compatable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krystian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

As we know, male Bettas are typically not a good idea to keep together in the same connected water reservoir. They'll fight, die and invite all sorts of problems when they become aggressive towards other fish (like fin nipping tetras)

My question is concerned with behavior conditioning. In presenting this question, I will provide example of Betta fish which are studied and were/still are exploited for their aggression (<cough> Siamese Fighting Fish competitions <cough>).

How is it possible to condition, for instance, 2 Bettas not to be aggressive to each other? How about to condition any fish to not be offensive to other fish? I think if Bettas are kept together as baby fish (or even from the same parents) they won't engage in this behavior?

If I keep two Betta's together but separated by a wall of plastic/glass, they'll just flare at each other. How can I dismantle their attitude of domination in lieu of companionship? I know with sheep and animals you (the human) have to come out and be viewed as the alpha-animal to get conformity, but how would I project this with Fish??

I've searched the web and found some great articles that are indexed through US Government search engines on fish conditioning (specificaly, Bettas) I queried for "conditioning aggressive fish"

Code:
Entrez PubMed: conditioning aggressive fish
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Search&db=PubMed&term=conditioning+aggressive+fish&tool=QuerySuggestion[/url]

Unfortunately, I don't have access to this information (it costs $30 per article). I've listed below the articles that I thought would be good reads if anyone has access to this material.

Craft BB, Velkey AJ, Szalda-Petree A. Related Articles, Links
Instrumental conditioning of choice behavior in male Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens).
Behav Processes. 2003 Jul 31;63(3):171-175.
PMID: 12829317 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Gottier RF. Related Articles, Links
Factors affecting agonistic behavior in several subhuman species.
Genet Psychol Monogr. 1972 Nov;86(2):177-218. No abstract available.
PMID: 4629009 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

McDonald AL, Heimstra NW, Damkot DK. Related Articles, Links
Social modification of agonistic behaviour in fish.
Anim Behav. 1968 Nov;16(4):437-41. No abstract available.
PMID: 5751508 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Thompson T. Related Articles, Links
Operant and classically-conditioned aggressive behavior in Siamese fighting fish.
Am Zool. 1966 Nov;6(4):629-41. No abstract available.
PMID: 6009828 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Thompson T, Sturm T. Related Articles, Links
Classical conditioning of aggressive display in Siamese fighting fish.
J Exp Anal Behav. 1965 Nov;8(6):347-403. No abstract available.
PMID: 5851396 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I don't really think you can condition bettas to live happily together. They come from small ponds, are are hardwired to kill any competion so they can survive. Males will even attack females after the eggs have been laid.

Back
Top Bottom