How could this happen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I spoke to soon about the post vacation condition of my system. Came home after 2 weeks to find one of our Clowns missing. Now I think I know why. All of my fish are again covered with spots. I noticed it about an hour after lights out tonight. My Royal Gramma is flashing like crazy and the Angel is living at the cleaning station.
It just doesn't make sense. I went through a 8 week fallow period from Jan through March with a parasitic outbreak and everyone had been clean since. I purchased the 2 Heni's and put them through a 5 week qt period. They have been in the system for 6 weeks with no problem. The only think I have added is a few snails, sand and some macro algea.
My options are either break out the 40 gallon again and nuke them once more or put my system up for sale and see if my LFS will take my animals. Anyone interested in a 210 gallon system? :evil:

Wow! Sorry to hear about the prob. That stinks... I'm no expert by any means.. But I wonder if any of the stuff you directly added especially the sand (was it in an established tank prior?) Could have carried a parasite such as Ick.. I read somewhere that the Ick parasite drops off onto the sand or whatever is in the tank then..more come out into the free swimming stages after that to find new hosts.. Wonder if any were carried in on something else..They just weren't in the free swimming stage yet...

Ya, thats what I'm thinking. it was part of a kit from a very established tanks, so I wasn't too worried.
I have a decision to make, I just don't have the time to keep going through this over and over again. I did everthing by the book as far as treatment and proper qt of new stock ( after my rough start at the top of the year). I also don't know how my fish will respond to another treatment, the first was rather rough of a few of them.
I guess I'll sleep on it tonight, not much i can do right now anyway. I am getting killed with the catch up at work and have several 16 hour days ahead of me. I could not move them until the weekend anyway.
After all this time, I thought I had it beat.

Hey Quarry..So sorry for you. Anything I can do to help you through this? Where did you get the sand from?What about treating them with hypo salinity instead of copper?Maybe that would make it easier for them stress wise.Just a thought. Sue

Sorry to hear about your troubles. This hobby can certainly be testing at times. You might try upping your tank temp. a bit to speed up the life-cycle of the ick. Some agree with this, some don't. Also, how about a UV steralizer? I know they take care of parasites in the water but not sure if they would help your fish. Let us know what you decide and best of luck to you and your fish...Lando

I have a UV sterilizer and some people swear by them and others laugh at them. I personally think they do some good for sure. Also I have had luck with raising the temp in my tank in the past. Had a bout with ick when I first started my tank and decided to let it run its course and raised the temp and they all pulled through it but one fish....that was a year ago...good luck and Im there with ya....this is a hard hobby sometimes!!

Quarryshark, please don't throw in the towel yet.. we will give you all the support you need to get you through this. :(

Thanks guys, I'm not sure what I am going to do. After busting my a$$ on this thing (like we all do) I just don't know how long I can keep this up. The next couple of month are a busy time for me and I am out of town quite a bit. I can't ask my wife for much, she is sick of the whole thing.
I will probably pull the fish out again, risk a divorce (just kidding) and give it one more wirl. I would feel better about it if I knew why it happened, stress, something in the sand? I just don't know.

Hey Qshark. Sorry to hear about that blasted parasite called ich!!!! :evil:

I was thinking the other day, what would I do if my system got ich again. I thought to myself, probably give up. It is hard, especially the water changes, but my advice to you is dont give up. There has to be some logical explanation for the outbreak, again. My best bet would be the sand, but what do I know anyway.

I am truly sorry, but you can do it, and you will do it! We are here for you. I wish I lived close, I would take half your fish through the qt for you. Well, keep us updated. :wink:

I feel for ya quarryshark :cry: Its the main reason I haven't jumped on the saltwater bandwagon yet. I have good luck with all my freshwater tanks/fish and scared that If I do saltwater and have the problems like you been having I would give up like you feel like doing. guess I'll keep just reading you guys posts for a couple more months. Hang in there quarryshark, i'm rooting for ya :mrgreen:

Did the person you left in charge have any info? It seems like a bit of a coincidence for this all to suddenly happen while you were away.

Thanks all for the support, thanks Rev I appreciate the setiment. Good question Atari, I havn't been able to reach him yet. Maybe it will shed some light.

Quarryshark, if you remember I had the same problem. After leaving my tank to fallow for 6 weeks, the ich is still there. My yellow tang, clowns and firefish have either built up residence to ich or they're getting help from the cleaner shrimps. All apart from the regal tang who is still getting mild infestation of ich. So instead of taking the fishes out again with a possible divorce, I have decided to let it run like this for a while.

Thats right I remember. I am tempted to try it, but they are pretty badly infected. I was gone for 2 weeks so I'm not sure how long it has been developed. Every one of them it seems has spots.

Odd that you would get an Ich outbreak without introducing sick fish....could it be something else besides ich?

DON"T GIVE UP!!! Like someone said before me, try a UV sterilizer. It may not be of great use now during your current ick infestation, but it will be most helpful in decreasing future outbreaks. I am one of those that swears by them. I wouldn't set up an aquarium without one. I've been in this hobby for almost 14 years now with only one ick infestation, and that was when i started(3 tanks ago) and didn't know about UV Sterilization. I haven't had an ick outbreak since(knocking on wood as i write). It's worth the money. Most importantly though, DON"T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This hobby needs more fish loving people :)

slowly raise the tank temp up to 83 degrees, start soaking the food in garlic and selcon. The raising of the tank temp, hurries the life cycle of the ich. It will come off the fish sooner, it will remain in the sandbed, but at least that will give you a
chance to boost the fish immune system and hopefully keep them from succumbing
to the parasite.

Hara said:
slowly raise the tank temp up to 83 degrees, start soaking the food in garlic and selcon. The raising of the tank temp, hurries the life cycle of the ich. It will come off the fish sooner, it will remain in the sandbed, but at least that will give you a
chance to boost the fish immune system and hopefully keep them from succumbing
to the parasite.

Thanks, I feed every day food laced with selcon and garlic. I keep the tank at 80, I will raise it a bit tonight and hopefully but a little time to get things set up.
Gonna try and get them to qt by Sat.

Odd that you would get an Ich outbreak without introducing sick fish....could it be something else besides ich?

Many people get a bright idea that they can keep fish...with your fish. Is it possible this fellow got interested in fish by taking care of your tank and bought himself a fish and then put it in your tank?

Well Kevin, no new residents so I doubt it.
I had to be the sand, thats the only new item I put in there recently. I added it a week before we left. It also ...maybe could have been one of the Heni's, but I qt'ed them for 5 weeks and they were in the main for 6 weeks before I left.
I'm gonna set up the 40 gallon tomorrow, can't do it today i'm stuck at work until at least midnight and need to make up water first. I hope they make it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom