How do hobby breeders handle the stock they create ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joejeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do most of you just donate to LFS or keep huge tanks? I want to get into breeding but it worries me to think of the mass of fry. I would want to cherry pick and build some line, but I don't want to disrespect the one who were not selected. Tips?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just had 40 guppie fry... swordtail/platy tank is stocked and babies soon... convicts breeding too. Im going to try to sell some at my lfs. And through classifieds. Since there isnt much for fish around here .

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not at this time no . If im really desperate in the future and have no room for them . As a last resort i guess i would . But if i don't have to i really dont like culling them .

I sell/trade to lfs and hobbyists, I definitely cull when needed, no sense in being irresponsible and spreading bad genes around .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I sell/trade to lfs and hobbyists, I definitely cull when needed, no sense in being irresponsible and spreading bad genes around .

For future reference for me , what is it that you look for when culling ? Mostly like body malformations and stuff like that ?

For future reference for me , what is it that you look for when culling ? Mostly like body malformations and stuff like that ?

Yes I look for poor finnage, body deformations, and swim bladder problems mostly, but body deformation is a broad term covering several issues.

So many do kill off the weaker specimens. Its a side of it I had not considered.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have sold and donated to my LFS when I had guppies. They asked me to try my hand with endlers because they have trouble stocking them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm yeah I don't even think I have seen endlers at all around here

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

If you are interested, check out Adrian hernandez on aquabid. That is where I got mine and he is one of the main people who have them.

I am planning to euthanize my culls using near frozen water then feeding frozen bodies to my sisters turtle. I can attempt to give them to my local fish store for free. I almost never buy anything locally so there is no point trading each fish for a few cents.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not euthanize mattcham. Euthanasia is putting down animals that are in pain or sick. You are farming them.

Culls are sick, they are genetically weak specimans

Most brightly colored live bearers are genetically inferior to wild cousins but we keep them. Like chihuahua dog versus a wolf.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sushi... lots and lots of fw sushi.. today's special. . Molly role followed by endler maki..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some of them are in pain or sick they can't swim or eat properly and normally get picked on by other fish in the tank.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a good example of why I cull. The 2 in the first pic are obviously deformed, the one in the back ground also has a very narrow caudal penducle.

Attachments

• 1404397859701.jpg
    1404397859701.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 128
  • 1404397872109.jpg
    1404397872109.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 122
I wasn't trying to imply anyone is bad for culling. I just feel it is different than euthanasia. Culling in aquariums is necessary, otherwise fish would start dying due to unhealthy stock. Anyone who raises livestock has to do it at sometime or another.

Back
Top Bottom