how do I cure Malawi bloat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrvat31

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a ventustus cichlid and I think he has bloat. So how do I cure him and how much time does he have.please help I don't want to lose him.

Bloat will kill a fish within 7-10 days unless treated, this will not go away on its own.

What symptoms are you seeing? Stringy white feces, spitting food, reclusive behavior, actually bloating around stomach, or shimmying?

If your having some of these then I'd use Clout, 9/10 times by the time you catch it the fish is no longer eating and the water must be treated. This course of action has never failed my rift lake cichlids. I'd treat the entire tank rather than QT a single fish, this can be passed by mouthing infected feces.

I also keep metrozoidale flakes on hand for any parasitic infection such as bloat or hexamita, these have been a lifesaver in my fishroom for years.

http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm

Malawi Bloat

Then you must determine what caused the issues so you can prevent another outbreak.

Last edited:
His stomach is a little bloated but he is still eating and swimming just fine.thanks for your help

His stomach is a little bloated but he is still eating and swimming just fine.thanks for your help

If the fish is eating he doesn't have bloat and is simply overfed. Try fasting the fish for a few days to relive the constipation, and add some Epsom salts to help reduce the swelling.

Last edited:
Also I just ordered clout it will arrive on Tuesday is that enough time

If he's eating and swimming the fish is simply overfed, bloat is a digestive problem and a fish will absolutely not eat if infected.

Your welcome to post a picture but I'm fairly certain it will be a overfed Nimbochromis venustus.

If your new to cichlids or fishkeeping in general I believe feeding poses one of the most challenging aspects for new aquarist. Over feeding IMO leads to 80% of the unexplained deaths the average aquarists faces. Fatty deposits surround the internal organs leading to failure then death.

I've have been keeping African cichlids for a year now but he is a new fish so you are probably right thanks so much for your help I appreciate it.

What are you feeding them? I am couple months new to cichlids and am constantly reading and learning. I have not had such issues but would agree the feeding can be delegate though not overly complicated. But anyway, what do you feed them? Are you worried they don't get enough? How many times a day do you feed?

Def keep an eye out on fat content...

Back
Top Bottom