How do I feed this guy? Will my Clown love him?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FWIW, this is the only way I have seen this anenome locally at shops (like the pic from dolphin). I thought this was a healthy individual...But I do agree that he may want to up his lighting a bit in the near future if he wishes it to really thrive.

It has to do with stress from collection, they don't ship well so they bleach. It's all to common to see them like that.

Six-Line said:
First of all any site that states dyes is really no good. Dyes are used to make a bleached anemone look colorful. Im sorry but im not going to argue with you. That is a bleached anemone, whether you like it or not. BTW im sure marine depot has expert anemone care takers that devote every second to the care of their specimens :roll: Please do some research before you tell me im wrong. Ive done m yreading, you obviously haven't.

I didn't get that quote mentioning the dyes from the marine depot (where I got the picture)- that was another site. The fact of the matter is - they come in a variety of colors, and CAN have purple/magenta tips.

Obviously this is turning into a big arguement. Maybe someone should post some facts on this. Have some hard evidence.

LOL, quite the discussion. IMO, the anemone in question is a Heteractis cripsa and BTW, looks quite healthy. The color is a bit faded but IME par for course after the collection and shipping it's been through. All in all I think it looks quite healthy and is by no means bleached.

FWIW, some have mentioned the anemone in question can come in a variety of colors and is abosolutely correct. Anemones of all species are quite often a variety of colors which can make identification quite difficult at times. Also, 260w of PC on a 55 gal will work out just fine providing the anemone adjusts to it's new home.

Personally I would not suggest feeding the anemone as long as you feed for fish (that usually falls on deaf ears for some reason). The one I have now could still be a cripsa but I have my doubts. Might wanna ask the clowns....

Cheers
Steve

brndfrb said:
i think you just answered your own question. LOL

Well I'm all concerned now....
I was told it's not supopsed to be this color... What gives?
I think I'm just gonna feed him shrimp and move him high in the tank. More then 260 watts is not gonna happen. The tank is in the living room. I need to make or buy a hood for other lighting...

steve-s said:
All in all I think it looks quite healthy and is by no means bleached.

FWIW, some have mentioned the anemone in question can come in a variety of colors and is abosolutely correct. Anemones of all species are quite often a variety of colors which can make identification quite difficult at times.

Steve,

Thank you so much for responding. I thought Firefighter's anemone also looked just fine... what do you say now, Six-Line?

XXFirefighter said:
brndfrb said:
i think you just answered your own question. LOL

Well I'm all concerned now....
I was told it's not supopsed to be this color... What gives?
I think I'm just gonna feed him shrimp and move him high in the tank. More then 260 watts is not gonna happen. The tank is in the living room. I need to make or buy a hood for other lighting...
Your worrying about nothing and if the image you posted at the beginning of the thread is accurate, it's not white. IME, that is quite common for newly transpotred crispa's and it will darken up over a few months. For now anyway, I do not see anything to be concerned about.

FWIW, you will find varying opinions on different forums and it is considered to anyones benefit to get as many opinions as possible. IMO. ReefCentral ≠ expert any more than others. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I hope this thread remains civil. I am finding the "debate" quite interesting. Just for added info, here is the same anemone when I got it which was definately bleached.

Cheers
Steve

I think it looks fine as well. And the lighting you have should be good enough. Just keep an eye on it. I have seen alot worse than that. at least his mouth is gaping open wich is a very good sign.

brndfrb said:
at least his mouth is gaping open wich is a very good sign.
I saw no sign of the mouth in the pic posted unless I missed something. As far as a gaping mouth, that is actually an indication of stress. A tightly closed mouth is an indication of good health.

Cheers
Steve

I am enjoying this debate. Remember to be respectful in your replies. I am getting a hint of personal attacks (Six-line). Keep it friendly. Back to the matter at hand...XX Firefighter, your tank is still quite young for an anenome. You will really have to work on keeping your water parameters in check. Honestly, If amonia/nitrite/nitrate are not all at zero you may want to consider returning your anenome. They really do not handle high levels of Nitate very well. If you have even a trace of nitrate, do a 10% water change every one or two days until it subsides. Nitrates are very difficult to get and keep at zero but it can be done. Best of luck from one public servent to another...Lando

lando said:
Back to the matter at hand...XX Firefighter, your tank is still quite young for an anenome. You will really have to work on keeping your water parameters in check. Honestly, If amonia/nitrite/nitrate are not all at zero you may want to consider returning your anenome.
This part I was unaware of. I read back to some of the original poster's threads and it seems the tank finished the cycle some time at the end of March/early April. While I stand by my earlier comments concerning the anemone itself, I do agree this tank is far too young to be housing an invert this sensitive to instability.

While many suggest 6-12 months, personally I would strive for 2 years before attempting an anemone addition. I do however support lando's recommendation, the anemone should be returned although where it came from is not likely to be much better. :(

Cheers
Steve

... what do you say now, Six-Line?

I say you don't know anything about anemones, and do some research it might help you out.

There is no such thing as a white sebae, if its white its bleached. Take my advice or leave it, I could care less. From what I have read sebaes need MH lighting or they just don't last. Its your anemone if it dies (I hope it dosen't) but then it's your problem. Im just trying to help and in my opinion based upon my research on different anemone species id say it just wont last long term in your system. Firefighter please post this on RC

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36

I think you will get more opinions/suggestions that might help you. Steve is very knowledgable, and he has helped me before but I can't agree with the fact that your anemone looks ok.

Six-Line said:
I say you don't know anything about anemones, and do some research it might help you out.

You are quite rude in your remarks. You don't know me, nor do you know how much I do/do not know about anemones. I do have a degree in marine biology, but I do not claim to be an anemone expert - or any other invert for that matter. My main focus is marine mammals. That aside, I think you should take your own advice.

Good luck with your anemone, Firefighter!

Back
Top Bottom