How do I get rid of snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babakapusta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 3 tanks. I've been harvesting snails and putting them in the largest tank with the largest fish because they seem to be eating them. I bought a couple of Assassin Snails but they don't seem to be helping.

My 10 gallon tank which is a few Endlers and 3 shrimp is infested with them. I bought some plants and I thought I killed any snails on them but apparently I missed enough so that now a month later the plants are covered with eggs.

My second tank is infested as well. In the second tank I have guppies and Dojo Loaches. Yeah, I know they shouldn't be together, the tank is unheated and they are feeder guppies that I gave a repeal to so just help me with the snails. The guppies are for food for my big tank. I treat them well and I don't want to kill them without a reason.

Anyway, what can I do to get rid of the snails with shrimp and dojos and if necessary in the big tank, I have an Ornate Birchir. I don't think that tank will be a problem the snails disappear within a couple of days. That tank has striped botias, an upside down catfish and Tin Foil barbs beside the birchir.

I have 3 tanks. I've been harvesting snails and putting them in the largest tank with the largest fish because they seem to be eating them. I bought a couple of Assassin Snails but they don't seem to be helping. My 10 gallon tank which is a few Endlers and 3 shrimp is infested with them. I bought some plants and I thought I killed any snails on them but apparently I missed enough so that now a month later the plants are covered with eggs. My second tank is infested as well. In the second tank I have guppies and Dojo Loaches. Yeah, I know they shouldn't be together, the tank is unheated and they are feeder guppies that I gave a repeal to so just help me with the snails. The guppies are for food for my big tank. I treat them well and I don't want to kill them without a reason. Anyway, what can I do to get rid of the snails with shrimp and dojos and if necessary in the big tank, I have an Ornate Birchir. I don't think that tank will be a problem the snails disappear within a couple of days. That tank has striped botias, an upside down catfish and Tin Foil barbs beside the birchir.
1. Make sure your not over feeding, 2. Scoop snails with net an throw em away, 3. Don't feed them specifically, just feed your fish! I had the same problem it seems scooping them out is the only real way, sorry for your troubles

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping I could add something to the tank to get rid of them. Snail poison or something.

Today I took out all the plants and treated them with chlorine to kill eggs. I washed all the eggs off the glass when I did a 75% water change. There are still a lot, but I am keeping them under control.

I think the big fish eat them. I haven't seen any when I clean their tank. Just empty shells.

Snails are funny critters. When I didn't want them around, I had loads of them. As soon as I decided I wanted lots of them, I couldn't keep them alive or reproducing fast enough!

The best natural way I've found is to do minimal feeding for a while and remove what waste you can (decaying plant parts etc). Can take a bit but the population will die down.

My all-time favorite fish is apparently an avid snail hunter - this guy. Good luck finding one though if you choose that route :)

Well something is eating them in my big tank, I don't know if it is the Tin Foil Barbs, the Birchir, the botia striatas or the upside down catfish. Whatever it is they don't survive long enough for me to see them ever again.

I'd just like to clean up the other tanks. I guess I'll just keep catching them and throwing them into the other tank.

I want one of those catfish. Where did you get yours?

I want one of those catfish. Where did you get yours?

Haven't gotten one unfortunately :( Almost 2 years of looking for one in the US/NA now and nothing. I've contacted a few people that I was told are my best bet at getting one out of Australia but I haven't heard anything yet.

Back
Top Bottom