How do I handle black dot algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vundercoverdog

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 5/5.5 gallon tank housing my two small sword plants. I see some black dots on some leaves that look like black algae of some sort. My tanks is cycled with a PH of 7.8-8.0 and 3 inches of eco-complete substrate. I bought flourish excel root tabs and put one in between the two. I don't have strong lighting... 3 led lights in the center of the tank. Heating, 78F. No CO2. Slow flow filter and some new formed film dangling from all my décor.. How can I get rid of the algae?

If CO2 is needed would the API liquid CO2 work?
If I need fluorescent lighting what bulb should I buy?

Ive had a sword before and it thrived with just API leaf zone and incandescent 40W bulb. I don't know why this is happening.

Can you post a picture so the algae can be properly identified? Also what do you mean when you say you have "new formed film dangling from all my décor"? Is it algae? Again a picture would help greatly. What type of décor do you have?

How long do you run your lights daily? Do you know your nitrate reading? How often do you change water? Also do you have a 5.5 gallon tank? You wrote 5/5.5 gallon tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom