How do I lower elevated Phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsilvers

Aquarium Advice Regular
Our tanks is great as far as water chemistry, except for phosphates, hence our new tank inhabitant--staghorn algae. HELP!

Pesky Phosphates

While not claiming expert status, I have had my share of battles with the dreaded problem of excess phosphates. The first task is to find out where they're coming from. Are they coming from your water, your food, or some other foreign additive? Now the proliferation of algae could be coming from not only the phosphates, but also your lighting.

If you're using tap or well water, perhaps it is laden with phosphates. In that case, a water change along the lines of 30% using RO water might be in order. This is what helped me.

Now if it's coming from the lighting, try reducing the amount of time you have the lights on. If there are other plants in the tank you'll have to make sure you don't cause them too much harm. Now I have a planted tank where the algae doesn't get any food because the plants consume it all. Therefore, I can keep my lights on for twelve hours without getting the green goo! If you don't have plants, then you can kill it off chemically and once the tank is rid of it, get some good algae eaters (Plecos etc.).

Hope this helps!

We have been keeping the lights low due to green algae (which is gone and which I have handled before in a newer tank, like this one). Our 20 gallon has never had a staghorn algae problem, just green when it was establishing, and we've had that taken going for nearly a year. I will test our tap water, but I think it's just...nutrients and light. We are doing the water changes...planting more heavily. We'll see how it goes.

Check your food, too, many flake foods contain phosphates and if you are overfeeding this can contribute, too. I had algae blooms from high phosphates in my tap water but the municipal water treatment plant made some adjustments and this is no longer the case, for the time being...

I will definitely check the food! Thank you. We are definitely careful about overfeeding, but perhaps we need to check the food we are using. We did start using a new food. And our 20 gallon never had this problem, so I am thinking it's not the water. The 55 is the one with the problem. I am going to check the food, and we are doing small water changes. THANK YOU!

foods without phosphates?

My fiance checked the food and one has phosphates up the wazoo...so that could be it.

Chemicals

No disrespect to Targaboy, but adding chemicals treats the symptoms and not the cause. As you suspected, the food was the most likely culprit. Naturally, if the phosphates don't drop after not feed the fish for a couple of days, then you need to look elsewhere for the source.

Back
Top Bottom