how do i lower ph levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessTamara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi guys, the newbie here....I went out and got the proper tester for my freshwater angelfish......and upon doing the testing, it would appear that the ph level is at around 7.6, which from my research, is too high....as I way too new to this, I have no idea how to lower it. Is this an easy task? like just add water and it helps. The male fish is spending alot of time white, taking his color away. Not sure if its because of all the neglect before rescuing them, or cause of the ph level. The female seems to be adjusting alot faster then he is. Please help me regulate my tank!! No idea what I am doing over here, lol
:thanks:

Stable pH is more important than the exact pH number itself. I raise(read as breed") in a pH of 8-8.5. Unless you are working some very picky fish trying to breed them, leave the pH alone.

Unless you are looking to stock very exotic fish that MUST have a low pH, most aquarium fish will adapt to your tank's pH level. It's more important to maintain a stable pH than to try to alter pH which can cause stress and even death to fish. I would avoid buying chemicals to alter pH.

If you are looking to slightly lower your pH the most natural and easiest way is to put Driftwood or peat to your tank, the tannins will do the rest. Just note that tannins will stain the water a tea color, but is harmless to fish.

Back
Top Bottom