How do I make my filter be quiet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got the Fluval C2 HOB filter for my 10 gal aquarium a couple weeks ago and it has been making a rattling noise. I don't know what it is but I'm thinking it's the impeller. I do have the water lowered so If that's the culprit let me know. The tanks in my bedroom so I'd really like it to be as quiet as possible. Is this normal for this filter or is there something I can do to fix it? (lubrication, reassembly, etc.).

Please help me because it is pretty loud and I'd like to get some sleep :).

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about those filters, but I've had Aquaclear 10/20's in my bedroom and they're silent until the impellor wears out (3 years at least)

The loudest ones i've had were the Biowheel ones and a "Tetra" branded one. Horrible. (Penguin?)

For HOB filters, I totally recommend AquaClear, just get one size "bigger" than recommended. You can always adjust it down.

Well, from what I've read these are similar to the AC made by the same person, and about the same quality. I just need to know if there's something I can do to quiet it down. I thought I've heard of someone lubricating the impeller with Vaseline, do you think that would work?

NO, do NOT do that.

The pump should quiet down as it gets a build up of "sludge" in it.

If its rattling, it could be a broken impellor. If its vibrating, Try putting a felt sticky pad between it and the back of the tank (assuming its on the outside)

You're right - I'd call this filter a step up from the aquaclear ones. It should quiet down over time.

I have a fluval and it does this until it gets a little dirtier and will start to get quieter.

Ok, thanks it still is fairly new so that's probably the case. I guess I just set myself back when I rinsed out the motor. Thanks again. :)

Back
Top Bottom