How do I quarantine new additions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pud2224

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got a 10 gallon to begin the habit of quarantining new additions/sick for my 20 gallon. I've read some posts where people just observe fish for a month before adding to display tank and others immediately begin a medication regiment for 1 month. Any advice which route is best to go? And what is a process for the Meds?

Heres what i do with my QT, observe the fish for 2 weeks, if its not showing any signs of illness/parasites i out him in the DT.

If the fish is showing signs than i treat the QT until he/she is looking clean and acting normal.

Some people treat even before they see any symptoms to be safe.

Heres what i do with my QT, observe the fish for 2 weeks, if its not showing any signs of illness/parasites i out him in the DT. If the fish is showing signs than i treat the QT until he/she is looking clean and acting normal. Some people treat even before they see any symptoms to be safe.
+1 to this, I have seachem paraguard as a preemptive med, although I have not used it yet.

Does the same observing go for ghost shrimp and African dwarf frogs? I currently have 2 guppies, 2 ghost shrimp and a frog in my qt.

Does the same observing go for ghost shrimp and African dwarf frogs? I currently have 2 guppies, 2 ghost shrimp and a frog in my qt.

No need to QT invertabrates, or the frog. They dont carry fish born disease or parasites. If you do threat than most likley whatever you use will kill the shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom