How do my returns and closed loop look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the process of switching my 110g reef to a 200g reef. Here is a very crude drawing of what I"m thinking so far. Let me know what you guys think and any possible ideas or improvements.

My other concern is that there is only 1 overflow drain on this tank, it is a rather large drain but the tank is 7ft long. When I'm having my tank drilled for returns should I make a second drain on the other end of the tank?

tank%20hoels.jpg
[/url]

If you do return 1 and 2 like you have described when power goes out will you use a one way valve to prevent back flush into your sump? If not then your entire tank will drain unless returns 1 and 2 are connected to a closed loop.

Returns 3 and 4 could be in the middle pointing toward the two front corners. This would give the current a good randomness since the bottom and top returns would be compeating aganst eachother.

If you use the scwd's why use a current switcher?

fishfreek said:
If you do return 1 and 2 like you have described when power goes out will you use a one way valve to prevent back flush into your sump? If not then your entire tank will drain unless returns 1 and 2 are connected to a closed loop.

I should have tried to exlpain my planninga little beter but I'm a bit confused myself on what would be the best way to do this. Returns 1-4 will be hooked up to the oceanmotion 4 way unit and a mag 36 that will be closed loop.

fishfreek said:
Returns 3 and 4 could be in the middle pointing toward the two front corners. This would give the current a good randomness since the bottom and top returns would be compeating aganst each other.

I didn't think of that, sounds like a good idea

fishfreek said:
If you use the scwd's why use a current switcher?

I will be using the current switcher on the mag 36 with returns 1-4 on a closed loop. I have 2 scwd's laying around so I figured I could use them on two or four more returns from my sump to get a little bit more random flow.

OH ok.

Where are you getting your feed for the close loop? I dont see a close loop inlet in your drawing. If your feeding your closed loop out of the sump then its not a close loop any more.

I"m not real sure about feeding the closed loop. I may have a hole drilled near the botom of the tank instead of running it over the top into the tank, I"m guessing this may make it easier for the pump to draw water from the tank.

Its best for the close loop inlet to be below the natural water line of the tank. This way the pump is always primed with water. Air in the system is the worst thing to have with a close loop as there is no real place for the air to go.

Back
Top Bottom