how do you acclimate fish from one fish tank to another

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
obviously when you buy them at the store, they're in a bag. but what about moving them from one tank to another in your home? do you break out the ziploc

As long as both tanks in your home are the same PH and temp, just net and drop in the other tank, no acclimation needed.

Now if the parameters are significantly different between the 2 tanks then you may want to acclimate. You can use a bucket or container and put some water from the tank that the fish is coming out of, then put the fish in there, then use the drip method from the new tank

I either put them into a 5 gallon bucket first or I just net from one tank to another. Make sure that the temperature difference is no greater tahn 4 degrees farenheit for best results. Otherwise you may stress your fish. The only reason I put them in a 5 gallon bucket first is if I have to move them into a tank that isn't in my "fish room". If it works for discus, it will work for whatever fish you have.

All of my tanks are running at room temperature and are the same as far as ph etc so I just net them out and put them right in the other tank. I have never had any problems doing it that way. I do put them in a bag tho if there is a big difference in temps etc.

If any of the conditions are significantly different between the tanks (by "conditions" here, I mean not only things like temp or pH, but also for example things like nitrates...while 80 ppm nitrates is not normally toxic to a fish, I would be worried about netting a fish out of a tank with 5 ppm nitrates and just tossing him into a tank with 80 ppm nitrates, etc.), then what I do is use a small container of whatever sort (a clean tupperware, or anything like that) and catch the fish in the old tank and fill the container about 1/3 or 1/2 with the old water. Then gradually over 20 minutes or half hour or so, keep adding small amounts of the new tank water every 3-4 minutes. Once you have the container 3/4 or so filled up, then just net the fish out and into the new tank, or even just lower the whole small container right into his new tank. (If you are sure both tanks are disease-free, then this is the easiest option and poses no hazards, and is less stressful on the fish since it is never out of water.)

i spend no more then 15 minutes getting my fish, shrimp, snails used to my water.

if you test your water and things are in check, you just have to focus on salinity and temperature. you should have more then enough water w/ the fish to test the salinity and compare it to your water.

besides, if your water is out of wack in the first place, then you should not go out to buy a fish.

Back
Top Bottom