How do you aquascape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I have a number of plants decided upon: hornwort, anacharis, java moss, java fern, and anubias for my 55g low light planted aquarium. Now I'm stuck with how to plan this. This is my first aquascape and I need some tips on how to go about this. Anything is welcome.:thanks:

Okay so I have a number of plants decided upon: hornwort, anacharis, java moss, java fern, and anubias for my 55g low light planted aquarium. Now I'm stuck with how to plan this. This is my first aquascape and I need some tips on how to go about this. Anything is welcome.:thanks:

Hey Zooking12, Sweet thing your giving aquascaping a go.

I think your best bet would be to use the old trusty Google. Just do some research about aquascaping techniques, basics, and 101s. There are a ton of things that go into aquascaping. Here is a list off the top of my head from my experience:

Hardscape
Focal Point
Layout Shape
Type of plants
Color of plants
Size of plants
Size of leaves of plants
type of fish
Color of fish
Size of fish
Imagination (very key)
background
are you creating a scene or a picture
You have to look at what the plants will look like grown, not what they look like now
Textures of rocks or driftwood in your hardscape

I'm sure I am forgetting something but their is a lot to aquascaping that people don't realize. I say just do research and just dive right in.

The key tool to aquascaping is imagination though, you can create anything you want. It's like art.

Ben

What's a layout shape?

Layout shape is like... Like you don't want everything symmetrical you might want it tall on one side and go down like a triangle shape. Or maybe curves or U's or different shapes.

Like you don't want to make it look perfect pretty much, like you want it naturally perfect not man-made perfect.

Ben

ohhhhhhh I get it now. Thanks for explaining it. And are there any low light red plants at all?

I'm not quite sure how many red plants there is for low light, since most extreme colors like that in higher lighting.

I know C. wendtii 'Red' and Tiger Lotus 'Red' are a somewhat red color, but not waay red.

Ben

My aquascape plan. (Rough sketch) Tell me what you think, although I think I might move the center wood, tiger lotus, guppy grass and pennywort a little to the left. Any suggestions, comments, and constructive criticism are welcome.:thanks:

Attachments

• 55g plan 002.jpg
    55g plan 002.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 55g plan 003.jpg
    55g plan 003.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 55g plan 005.jpg
    55g plan 005.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 55g plan 004.jpg
    55g plan 004.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 138
HalfMoon B said:
Gifted artist! Looks great!

You're a great artist. You'll have no trouble designing your aquarium lol

Thanks. But I do still have a dilema. First off, I'm thinking about cutting the pennywort. Secondly, I have an artificial root system and I want to put it in for my cories but I don't know where.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• khalil android pictures 357.jpg
    khalil android pictures 357.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 107
Back
Top Bottom