How do you care for your fish on the way home from the store..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you transfer your fish home from the store?

• Hold them in your hand

Votes: 36 24.2%
  • Have a passenger hold them

Votes: 38 25.5%
  • Toss them in the seat beside you

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Have a "fish seat" carrier for them

Votes: 23 15.4%

• Total voters
In the defense of dkpate, I like to see the fish before I buy them so I think that is a good reason to travel... you look at 15 angelfish or clowns and most don't look the same... picking your fish is half the fun of the buying process.

In the defense of dkpate, I like to see the fish before I buy them so I think that is a good reason to travel... you look at 15 angelfish or clowns and most don't look the same... picking your fish is half the fun of the buying process.

I agree. Also, you can see if the fish have any injuries, etc.

you dont have to drive a hundred miles to get fish, you know, you can order them online and it wouldn't cost you as much as traveling 100 miles...no offense but thats a little extreme:infinity:

I have to drive that road about once a week anyway, so it doesn't matter. It only takes about 1.5 hours on good roads. If you knew where I lived you would understand! Spokane is the only place that has grocery stores, auto parts stores, clothes stores, vet clinic, etc. My town has 400 people, and Spokane is where everyone goes. It only costs me $13 is gas to go there and back, so you tell me where I can get fish shipped for that price? WITH a live arrival.
I am used to driving, so it doesn't bother me. I used to drive from N. Seattle to home every other weekend and that takes 6+ hours.
City people just don't understand.....*sigh* ;)

i take my kid or GF with me to the LFS and have them hold the fish till we get home.;)

this is me while holding my fish "why'd u hit the edge of the road? u mad the car bump! poor little fishy.." "aghh! dont hit so hard on the brakes the fish is boucing!" i hate going in the car with fish because all i do is yell and worry about the 'poor little fishy..."

this is me while holding my fish "why'd u hit the edge of the road? u mad the car bump! poor little fishy.." "aghh! dont hit so hard on the brakes the fish is boucing!" i hate going in the car with fish because all i do is yell and worry about the 'poor little fishy..."
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: ?????? Umm..... Ok.

lol zelilaa, i do the same thing to my husband :D "what, did you aim for that bump? easy on the brakes! slow down!" lol he loves it

now i feel embarassed.. that post was wierd cause it uh... didnt make any sense =P srry. let me clarify. i hold my fish because i freak out about them bouncing or moving with the car movement!

Awww...I'm sorry. No worries. I totally understand ;)! No one wants their little fishy friends to be jounced around on the way to their new home!

I put them in the center console/armrest thing, so they don't roll around.. I guess that's fish seat..

Well I voted "Hold them in your hand" but I am a passenger so basically I'm sitting in the backseat holding the bags on my lap while my Dad's driving.

Our local fish store isn't local it's 350 miles away literally. We live in Missouri. The only fish store we have in our town is petco and it's crazy there! They don't have any equipment for over 5 gallons they have like 200 fish stuffed in their tanks and most of them are dead or disease written! The first time I bought their I bought a tiger barb and it was half dead when I bought it. I took it back to the store to return it and he tested the water with the strips and said the water quality wasn't good enough! I tested it at home it was fine. Plus petco is really expensive. They don't have any plants. The only fish I buy there is bettas. And they're high so I usually don't buy them there. For me it's cheaper to drive and buy a mini heater and mini tank then buy from them!

I use a lrg shoe box. It's large enough to put three bags upright or two bags laying down. On the back seat out of the sun light and I drive carefully.

Yeah that's a good idea to keep the bags stable and provides a darker background so the fish aren't as scared.
I think I'm gonna try that tomorrow when I get my fish :)

what I do is I have a paper bag (brown) and set the bag that holds the fish it it. Then i put it in the square Ice cream buckets. This way, the fish gets less stressed. I did this for my male betta who I love so dearly.

My Pets :: my male betta picture by sasuke2sakura1 - Photobucket

thats him. In his old betta condo, now he has a 20 gal with guppies and swordtails and corydoras. =] Though I don't have any more guppies or anything... Maybe its me, but my guppies don't breed like crazy. I have 2 females and want 2 more.

I put mine on the dash of the car and give them the ride of there little lives then place in my tank so it seems like heaven compared to the last 1/2 hour. no no i just placed them in a bag and hold them with one hand while i steer. LOL

I put mine in either a zip-up cooler bag in the front seat or I have them in a box with random items i find in the car and stuff that between the bags so they don't roll, then I place them on the front seat and buckle them up lol

Back
Top Bottom