How do you choose your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sssea

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering about how people choose a specific fish out of the tons of choices at most lfs. Most people are attracted to a certain species, but which fish to choose from the tank? Is it personality, cuteness, physical fitness?

What traits do you look for in your new addition?

Personally, I look for something silly that relates to my life.
My panda moor had 3 dots on her head that match the spots on my dog and one of my tattoos, all coincidentally. I think we're all soul mates.
I chose my oranda because I thought he looked spot on like my baby nephew.

Attachments

• image-3920003007.jpg
    image-3920003007.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 148
  • image-3991960128.jpg
    image-3991960128.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 113
  • image-3908872624.jpg
    image-3908872624.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 116
99% of my fish are ordered online from breeders and dealers so for me it's like almost Christmas when the box comes. And since I always open them in a dark room and acclimate in a dark tank, Christmas comes two days after that, when I can actually see the fish.

For me it depends on the type of fish and quantity I'm getting. For example I'm about to get a heap of Neon Tetras, I'll just place an order with the LFS and take what they give me. If I'm only getting one or two of a fish I'll be influenced by color, livliness, size and just general gut instinct.

strong colours and complete fins is what i look for. my lfs is only 15 mins walk away and has a good enought selection of fish. didn't try ordering online yet.

I try to match temperment when I make my choices, then I try to look for something a little different whether it be coloring, activity level, or just something that catches my eye. For example, my latest tank is populated by semi-aggressives. I have the standard gold and opaline blue gouramis but also 2 dwarf gouramis, one neon blue and one flame that has a beautiful blue back fin. I also added a spotted leaf fish just because of the way it hangs around structures in addition to the neat color. Then I added a catfish dont remember the name) that has black stripes. I was amazed when I let it into the tank and it settled on a leaf from my red water lily and the silver parts turned a shade of pink.

I look for the little guys. That way I have more of an influence on their behavior as they grow up, and as long as they're not getting bullied, rescue them from possibly growing up in an uncycled tank. Lol.

I was wondering about how people choose a specific fish out of the tons of choices at most lfs. Most people are attracted to a certain species, but which fish to choose from the tank? Is it personality, cuteness, physical fitness?

What traits do you look for in your new addition?

Personally, I look for something silly that relates to my life.
My panda moor had 3 dots on her head that match the spots on my dog and one of my tattoos, all coincidentally. I think we're all soul mates.
I chose my oranda because I thought he looked spot on like my baby nephew.

LOL. That is so adorable! That oranda looks just like your nephew lol!

I really haven't been able to choose fish, there just usually rescues, because people didn't want a there fish anymore.

I look for the little guys. That way I have more of an influence on their behavior as they grow up, and as long as they're not getting bullied, rescue them from possibly growing up in an uncycled tank. Lol.

Good point! I prefer the smaller ones as well and ask to get them when I buy from the LFS (they always try to give me the big ones until I specify I want smaller fish) but thats because the smaller ones are usually a bit younger and I dont have to replace them as often. (Yes, I'm cheap that way)

Hukit, I love Christmas, so I can totally see how exciting that is. I feel like a kid in a toy store every time I go to goldfish world.

Homedog, I like the little guys too! Why buy a large fish when you can watch a little one grow up!

Rosenweiss, Augustus (oranda) was the only fish in the entire store that had big squishy cheeks and I instantly fell in love with him. No one in my family believed that he looks like Mav (baby) until I showed them those two pictures, they almost died laughing!!!

Sssea, no way, that's hilarious! xD That goldie is so cute, too. I like your fish's name! I have a fish named St. Augustine.

Rosenweiss said:
Sssea, no way, that's hilarious! xD That goldie is so cute, too. I like your fish's name! I have a fish named St. Augustine.

Thanks! He's named after Augustus Gloop , the original Will Wonka was my favorite movie as a child. My fish would definitely eat his way through a chocolate river, he tried to eat my finger this morning!
I always try to give them silly names, usually after authors, poets or astronomers. Although we recently found out that my moor, Mr. Boots, is actually a Miss!

Haha! I love it when fish nibble! And yeah, my boyfriend and I found out that his pleco is a girl, too, but we stuck with the name "Kaito" meaning "Ocean Dipper" in Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom