how do you do PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Python only for me. I can no longer see doing it with buckets. Takes too long, and with my work schedule, I'm way to tired to do it. With 6 tanks, would take me several hours to do 50% PWC's with buckets, where I can do it in under 90 minutes with the Python, and do it just as well.

Lee's is just as good as the Python, and much cheaper. Ant there's a few people in AA who use them as well.

Python 25' - http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18663/si1380554/cl0/pythonnospillcleanandfill25

Python 50' - http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18663/si1380559/cl0/pythonnospillcleanandfill50

Lee's 25' - http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18663/si1380184/cl0/leesultimategravelvacuum25ft

Lee's 50' - http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18663/si1380185/cl0/leesultimategravelvacuum50ft

i'd need the python 50'

why is the python 50 for $50 and the lee 50' is only $30

does lee's suck or something or just not name brand?

walmart sells the python for pretty cheap.

i will never go back to buckets.

What is wrong with a gravel vac???? its cheap easy to use and works well, i have a 30 gal tank and a 45 gal tank i use the gravel vac for both, its not HARD, its just around 20-30 buckets, if you get put of by that your just lazy imo lol.

if you had a python, you would understand.

Thats the only way to do it IMO, gives ya your exercise carrying the water lol, but depending on how bad my 29 is, I usually just siphon 5 gallons out into a bucket and then scoop out 5 more, and re fill, and every two weeks I do filter cleaning since they get nasty quick

If you need the Python ASAP, print out the price from PetSmart's online store, take it to your local PetSmart, and many (most?) will match the price. 50' for $38 is hard to beat.

I don't mind the buckets out so much,they are close to the ground,or on it.

But the buckets in the 50g tall are a real pain the tail and I'm a big dude.I have to raise above the lip of the tank,which means to about the level of my face.No big deal there really,but then the tilt and slowly pour and that really gets the old muscles crunk up.

Been thinking of building a contraption out of clear tubing that will attach to the kitchen sink to use just for the fill side of the task.5-10 bucks max I would guess.

Of course I'll post some bad pics when I get around to doing it.

Edit:Come to think of it,with that much tubing involved I should be able to start a cyphon and drain to the great out doors (after the obigatory gravel vac).Hmmm...this may have just jumped a few things on the fish priority list.

JUST" 20 to 30 buckets? Yeah, well, some of us have other things we like to do.

What 30min, once a week??? it makes me wonder, if you dont wont to put in approx 30min a week into your fish tank, then y did you get 1???, granted foe people such as Loanwolfblue, with that amount of water, its understandable, but if you have anything under 70 odd gall tank, i just cant see the point....but everyone is different, i guess.

That's assuming one water change a week of only a few gallons and not carrying your water very far. Not to mention asside from the time issue, there's the mess issue. Thanks...but no thanks.

But if you want to insult people for finding a faster, cleaner and more efficient way of doing something...go for it.

I'm gonna jump in here also as I recent convert from buckets to Python. I'm 4'10" and weigh 105lbs. A 5 gallon bucket is more than 1/3rd of my body weight. So I end up using 2 1/2 gallons at a time in the bucket. and making twice as many trips - and when you trip during one of those trips even 2 1/2 gallons of water is alot to clean up LOL
During my med treatments I had to do 50% daily water changes since the biofilter was killed. That's ALOT of hauling. My Phyton arrived just 3 days before the meds fiasco and it saved the day.

I only use the Python on the 29G. I do the 10 with a small regular gravel vac and buckets. I've noticed that I do larger water changes on the 29G now (used to do 25%, now I do 40%)

The most important thing is not HOW the PWCs are done, but that they ARE done.

On the declor subject: When using buckets I treat them with Prime for the volume of the bucket water. When using the Python I treat for the whole tank vol with Prime before refillinng.

That's assuming one water change a week of only a few gallons and not carrying your water very far. Not to mention asside from the time issue, there's the mess issue. Thanks...but no thanks.

But if you want to insult people for finding a faster, cleaner and more efficient way of doing something...go for it.

I was not insulting you, granted it may be faster, and ahhh im not going to comment anymore i'm doing no good, i did say everyone is different and it was imo, it wass not aimed at you it was just in general.

The most important thing is not HOW the PWCs are done, but that they ARE done.
Good point joannde!!!

We all have our different methods of keeping fish but we need to keep in mind our common bond here at AA and that is the love and care for the fish. As long as everyone is trying there best at giving their best possible care for our aquatic friends then that is what we are here for. Does it really matter if you carry buckets back and forth from the sink to the aquarium or if you use a device that is designed to take water out and put it back in...NO it does not as long as PWC are done on a routine basies. Our aquatic friends love you how ever you choose to change the water in their tanks.

Lets all take a moment and bond together for a group hug :)

:kiss:

I siphon the water onto the floor, then refill with a hose that has a gooseneck, with a tee on it. Much faster than a python, and I can drain another tank while one is filling. The python wastes too much water. I don't dechlor, as my cold water comes through a cannister filter with carbon cartridge. I also have 3 different diameter siphon hoses. The bigger the hose, the faster the drain.

We all have our different methods of keeping fish but we need to keep in mind our common bond here at AA and that is the love and care for the fish. As long as everyone is trying there best at giving their best possible care for our aquatic friends then that is what we are here for. Does it really matter if you carry buckets back and forth from the sink to the aquarium or if you use a device that is designed to take water out and put it back in...NO it does not as long as PWC are done on a routine basies. Our aquatic friends love you how ever you choose to change the water in their tanks.

Lets all take a moment and bond together for a group hug

Well said!!! :D

Bhunsucker said:

Lets all take a moment and bond together for a group hug :)

:kiss:

EDIT: how come when i quote i always screw up? why isnt it all nice looking

there isnt a civil war about to break out bhunscuker... im not like
"buckets rule, anyone who uses a python is a *beep* *beep* peice of *beep* i dont even consider them aquarist"

its more like

"ya i still use buckets/milk gallons, i need to upgrade"

Back
Top Bottom