How do you do water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gothamz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is semi off topic, but how do you do water changes? I just recently got back into this and am curious how about how much and how to do it.

Once a week I syphon the sand/gravel and remove about 20% of the water. Then you just add back new dechlorinated tap water into the tank.

This might be a dumb question, but how is the syphoning done?

we always use the cleaner hose and attachment for about $10 at any Wal-mart of lfs. You clean the substrate then allow it to continue sucking the water out until you have removed enough water. Then add back de-chlorinated water. You place the entire hose into the water then hold the skinny end with your thumb over it, drop it lower into a bucket and the water will flow due to gravity. To stop the flow remove the end that is in the fish tank, not the end in the bucket to retrieve the water. hope this helps at all..

For those who appreciate a pictorial:

working001.jpg

I purchased a python on the advice of the members here and I love it! It makes the water changes so easy and fast!

I very recently acquired a "Lee's Ultimate Gravel Vac", which is just like the python. Do you need to keep the water from the faucet running the entire time you are draining the water from your tank? I noticed that if I turned the faucet off the suction decreased dramatically, and the water siphoned very slowly.

Yeah...you have to keep the water running as this is what keeps the pressure going. The connection at the faucet needs to have a "vacuum" in order to flow in the reverse direction.

Actually you CAN turn the water off once your hose is FULL of water. Meaning no air whatsoever. I just turn on the faucet, full blast, and then once the air gets all out of the hose I turn it off. It will keep it's suction then . . . assuming your tank's water level is still higher than your sink :wink:

Also, sometimes I just take the end to the tub (it's nearby). The tub will be floor level and your suction increases. Speeds things up a little.

I would guess everyone who uses the bucket method gets the same result, though.

I use the buckets myself, but with only a 10 and 20 to deal with it's pretty easy.

The hard part is suicidal swordtails that like to swim into the intake.

i had a siphon thing from walmart, it wasnt long enough and pulled water out real slow. i made my own out of some fittings and i hook it up to my grandma's shower. works pretty well. before that i siphon it into my moms garden.

Buckets man, 1-5 gallon and 2-2.5 gallon. Is good exercise to carry them around and even more fun to keep the kids out them while syphoning.

Lucky you! Maybe in my next house... Hubby's a pipefitter. I do 50% weekly water changes on 325g w/a Python draining into my basement.

Back
Top Bottom