How do you escape proof your tank for EELs ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimeeBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For those of you that have experience with keeping eels, how do you "escape proof" your tank ??? :confused:

I usually run at least 2 AC filters on all of my tanks so even with the glass cover, you still have that area at the back of the tank where your filters sit, and the area around the filters - all areas where an eel "could" escape.

So how do you escape proof that ?

And if you've been successful at it, please share some pictures. I'd love to see your set-up.

:thanks:

What kind and size eel? Eggcrate works for big guys but loaches (eel like) could get through. My kuhliis made it up the outflow of my Ac50 and ended up under the media.

For those of you that have experience with keeping eels, how do you "escape proof" your tank ??? :confused:

I usually run at least 2 AC filters on all of my tanks so even with the glass cover, you still have that area at the back of the tank where your filters sit, and the area around the filters - all areas where an eel "could" escape.

And if you've been successful at it, please share some pictures. I'd love to see your set-up.

Small holes I've just wedged prices of filter sponge in there how big are the holes???

My eel escaped a few weeks ago lol so I think I have some experience with escape-proofing it now that I know how good escape-artists they are! But I agree with Joey - putting filter sponge in there is probably a smart move. :p

Good Luck! :D

Also, did you use the plastic extension for the glass top that allows you to cut out openings for your filters, heaters, cords, etc? If not I would add that, that would be less openings for them to escape. After you have that in place you can use eggcrate or something similar to prevent them from getting out but still allow for a proper gas exchange at the surface.

What kind and size eel? Eggcrate works for big guys but loaches (eel like) could get through. My kuhliis made it up the outflow of my Ac50 and ended up under the media.

Also, did you use the plastic extension for the glass top that allows you to cut out openings for your filters, heaters, cords, etc? If not I would add that, that would be less openings for them to escape. After you have that in place you can use eggcrate or something similar to prevent them from getting out but still allow for a proper gas exchange at the surface.

Well any eel I get would be small to start off with, so at this point I want to be able to prevent "any" eel from escaping - whether its big or small because they are all go to grow at some point.

Unfortunately, I don't have those little plastic pieces that came with the tank b/c someone (who shall remain nameless :whistle: ) threw them away thinking they were trash when I first got the tank. So I've never had them on there.

My eel escaped a few weeks ago lol so I think I have some experience with escape-proofing it now that I know how good escape-artists they are! But I agree with Joey - putting filter sponge in there is probably a smart move. :p
Good Luck! :D

I hope this isn't a dumb question - but where exactly would I put the filter sponge to keep the eel from escaping ? :hide:

I'm beginning to think that maybe I should just not add any eels to my tank. I see no way to keep them from escaping and everyone I've talked to (that has had one) has had at least one escape. :(

Hi... Well I don't have an eel... But I do have a violet goby dragon... He has a eel like body.. AND that boy had give me problems... I remember the first day I bought it and put him in the tank....

He was crazy... He went side to side ...... and suddenly he jumped out of the tank.!! Hahaha my lil sis was there too and she got scared and ran out the room... Haha I put him back and then I was worried from it to happen again...

So I decided to cover the filter part with a paper... It worked when he tried to do the same thing he though the paper was part of the tank's hood.. A couple Days after he got used to it and I removed it with no problems.. Hope it helps

Sometimes you can purchase replacements for the plastic part on the glass tops. If your LFS sells the glass tops, ask about replacements. That's what I did when I changed up the layout of the back part of the tank and needed a new piece to recut.
If your LFS can't help, then look online.

I hope this isn't a dumb question - but where exactly would I put the filter sponge to keep the eel from escaping ? :hide:

Hehe, of course it's not a dumb question! You can put it in the wee slots that the wires normally go through, though (presuming your aquarium has those?) as well as any holes really that you think the eel could escape through. It really depends on your tank though.

Personally I don't have sponge in mine though - I just use books lol.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Joey lol - so what he said. :p

Hi... Well I don't have an eel... But I do have a violet goby dragon... He has a eel like body.. AND that boy had give me problems... I remember the first day I bought it and put him in the tank....

He was crazy... He went side to side ...... and suddenly he jumped out of the tank.!! Hahaha my lil sis was there too and she got scared and ran out the room... Haha I put him back and then I was worried from it to happen again...

So I decided to cover the filter part with a paper... It worked when he tried to do the same thing he though the paper was part of the tank's hood.. A couple Days after he got used to it and I removed it with no problems.. Hope it helps
Years ago I had one also, one day I found it in my under gravel filter xD .

we got 2 half banded spiney eels they havent escapes yet but possibly as they still small but we can leave top open and they cant or havent tried to get out yet but we have a lip on our tank with quite a big space between water and top of tank ...we have just put some plastic sheeting on top between water and lights but they still try and escape if anything they stay at bottom of tank when top is open lol

You can buy replacement plastic bits to slide on the glass lids, and I would say the plastic canvas for cross stitching/crafts would work for the filter hole while still letting water pass well without even a tiny eel getting through.

Back
Top Bottom