how do you figure out stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdma

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know there's the old 1in/gallon rule, stocking calculators, and I can always ask for advice here. But I'm interested in learning how to figure out appropriate stockings on my own. What sorts of things do you take in to consideration when looking at fish for your tank?

There's many more people who are more knowledgeable than I am, but for starters your stocking will depend on how dedicated your willing to get, like how often your willing to do WC's and test water. Like for example many people here recommend that nearly all tetras need atleast a 15g tank because of how active they are, so you need to take into consideration if the fish is really active and lively or more of a laid back not so active fish, also if they are a more messy fish or not (platys and mollies are very messy fish and produce a lot of waste). Of course you need to take the ADULT SIZE the fish will grow to not the size they look to be when you purchase the fish.

I don't do the inch per fish thing it has more flaws than benefits. When I start to think about stocking I think about the size of the tank, the fish I WANT an must have, then go from there. I consider the aggressiveness, the need of space, and the messiness of the fish. I usually end up with 2-4 different stocks, but one usually wins:). Plus this place will always be a great tool if you need help, usually many people on here will have had your fish and know some great ideas!

I know there's the old 1in/gallon rule, stocking calculators, and I can always ask for advice here. But I'm interested in learning how to figure out appropriate stockings on my own. What sorts of things do you take in to consideration when looking at fish for your tank?

For me I always start with researching the fish type. Knowing what a fish needs is, to me, the most important part. Knowing how big they grow, how active they are, their temperament, bioload and environmental needs(water temp, filtration needs, ph, tank size, etc.) are a great place to start.

I often spend spare time just researching fish types I read about on the board. As I learn more about more fish you really start to understand what fish can go with what fish and how you can stock a tank.

I always go on the safe side. Many sites say 10 gallons is ok for most tetra but with all of my research and personal experience I strongly feel they need 15-20 gallon at least. They are such active fish and do get a good school I think the best for the fish is more space. To me I feel I can find more suitable fish for a tank of that size and will go about doing that instead.

I also love to see what people do with their own tanks and how successful they are with it. It sucks when someones set up fails but it is a great learning tool as well.

There are also some very good "cookie cutter" stocking lists out there that show a good starting point for many tank sizes and with knowledge of your fish types you can adapt that if you do not like a certain type of fish. Don't like the rummy nose tetra in that list? Well switch it out for another tetra of similar size and needs that you prefer more.

It's just to me a combination of knowledge with your fishes best interest in mind

I'm keeping a birds eye on this thread, I think I will learn a lot, keep they answers coming everyone!

If your tank looks crowed, it is. Territorial fish (cichlids) need a lot more room than others. Does your tank have good filtration and aeriation? How often do you do water changes? Many fish don't like Nitrates and water changes are the only way to remove them.

Size of tank, cold or tropical, species of fish and compatibility with others, type of filter or filters, heaters, lights, plants, food requirements - so much to take into consideration. I usually pick the type of fish I want, usually Cichlids, research there behaviour and tank mates possibilities, then pick a tank plus equipment. IMO the worst thing you can do is buy a tank first then put a few fish in and wonder where to go from there, I've known so many people buy tanks to small for what they have ended up wanting to put in it or buy a few fish on impulse then get stuck trying to find compatible tank mates for them. Better to research, take it slow, pick what you want and then go for it - you will be so much happier in the end.

Def finding all the answers interesting! Especially the suggestion that you pick your fish before the tank. My husband bought a tank at a garage sale and grandma picked up fish for it, my husband got more fish for it and my daughter REALLY wants some neon tetras and a blue betta so now I'm stuck trying to figure out if it'll all even work! The next tank I get will be mine so I'll have to keep that piece of advice in mind.

Simple, just stick with the hobby and you'll figure it out all on your own. There's no secrets to figure out stocking ... it'll come to you. It wont be long before you can just look at an empty tank at an LFS and figure out what you can stock, how many and what type of filtration you'd need.

I do it every time I go to an LFS and see the various shaped tanks. I'll look at a 20gal hex and know you cannot stock the same fish as you would in a 20Long even though it's the same water volume.

IMO .. experienced aquarists go about stocking our tanks 1 of 2 ways.
1. We have specific stock in mind ... that determines how many we can safely have, the size of the tank, type of filtration and maintenance.
2. We have a specific tank size in mind ... that determines the type of stock and how many we can safely have. That then determines filtration and maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom