How do you guys go about feeding your corries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, finally picked up my first batch of panda corries and wanted to double check on my feeding methods. I want to make sure they get adequate food, but am also aware they tend to be slow eaters, so i dont want to leave anything or too much untouched. My tank has 10 rummynose tetras, 1 male guppy, and now 4 panda corries (in the end i will have 8). I feed the tetras a Nutrafin MAX flake, and mix in Nutrafin "freeze dried tubiflex worms and earthworm meal" every couple days as well. I was doing once a day what they can eat in 30-45 seconds before the corries, just dropping it in on the top of the water so minimal had a chance to fall into the plants. Now for the corries i have a bag of Hikari tropical sinking wafers for bottom feeders.

I broke a wafer into 1/4 peices since they are so small and dropped them in, but the tetras went crazy after them so i dont know how much actually got to them lol The light was off, but it was long after. I know its recomended to drop the wafers in before bed at night, so the tetras are in sleep mode in theory. So should i drop a little flake down the filter intake during regular feeding to purposely have some get past the tetras for the corries, and then drop the wafer just as i go to bed? I just dont want to condemn them to living off leftovers, as some mistakenly beleive is fine

I feed eveyone at once, twice a day, but I overfeed slightly on the sinking foods, knowing the swordtails will also help themselves to the pellets. (These swords are never not hungry!) My tetras and danios mostly leave the sinking stuff alone as long as they got their flakes. They'll come take a nibble now and then, but not enough to deprive the corys.

Good product, Hikari sinking wafers. You might need to increase how much you feed just to be sure everyone gets some. I feed all at the same time too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so you guys purposely let some get to the bottom of the tank? It's going to take some getting used to since I've always tried to not let a single peice get out of sight lol guess I can always see if my snails explode in population to judge if it's too much

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also I've heard of people using algae wafers, but the vegetable diet wouldn't help them much anyways. Correct?

When i had my FW tank and corys i used to soak some flakes for a minute so the sink fast and add them as i start feeding the others then the cories could get their share.. still be conscious of how much you feed them and do pwc accordingly and vacuum your gravel thoroughly

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also I've heard of people using algae wafers, but the vegetable diet wouldn't help them much anyways. Correct?

Correct. Corys need a diet higher in protein. Also they prefer to eat off the bottom floor of the tank. They naturally sift through sand to find bits of food.

Also vitalis have started doing a fine high protein sinking pellet which can be rolled into small balls is you wish i use the marine variety in my tank and the fish go nuts for it

Wasnt sure if you meant me but here it is... this is for marine tho but they definatley do i FW (tropical) range

Attachments

• 1449355090926.jpg
    1449355090926.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 76
I've borrowed some cories. They love frozen brine shrimp. They get those via baster to the face (almost literally) and S&C sinking wafers. What they don't eat, the MTS and mystery snails clean up. Odd the cleanup crew has a cleanup crew.

Wasnt sure if you meant me but here it is... this is for marine tho but they definatley do i FW (tropical) range

Yes
I have never seen that brand before.

I hadnt till i went to the lfs they demo'd it for me and the fish literally go nuts. I have to roll small balls for my shrimp and drip feed my other fish to keep distracted aslong as you dont just chuck a ton in there is no waste but you do have to have a strategy to get some to the bottom feeders cause even my other fish will go clean up what they dont get in the water column

I hadnt till i went to the lfs they demo'd it for me and the fish literally go nuts. I have to roll small balls for my shrimp and drip feed my other fish to keep distracted aslong as you dont just chuck a ton in there is no waste but you do have to have a strategy to get some to the bottom feeders cause even my other fish will go clean up what they dont get in the water column

Thanks. My lfs doesn't carry it but I can check Amazon. I also feed New Era Tropical Grazer. I keep my corys in species only tanks for the most part so I don't usually have issues.

I think its the same as new era actually.. not sure of the just rebranded it or brought out a new range

My cories are in my 180 with 11@ 10-15 year old clown loaches!
I feed the whole tank at once.
I always offer two sizes of NLS pellets and flake in a cup of water so all food enters and circulates or sinks in the water column right from the start.
They may be shy and slow but my 6+ have no problem in a fast and furious feeding frenzy everyday!
I make sure there is enough NLS that cories and clowns can plow around for quite a while,and they do!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom