How do you increase CO2???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wondering how to do this...I have a Red Sea CO2 system. It's working very well for me, but I think I need more CO2 and I was just wondering how I can do that. Should I add another system? I have a more powerful power head...it seems to be what the CO2 is hooked up to. Would this work as well? It's kind of bulky, so I'd like to avoid putting it in the tank...thanks for any suggestions ahead of time.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=41

Short answer:

Yes, another system will probably raise your CO2, but so will minimizing surface agitation, and switching over to a pressurized system. A pressurized system becomes a necessity with certain light levels (over 2 or 2.5 wpg), as algae will take over the system if CO2 is low (which happens when light is high). If you have less than 2 wpg on your tank, you probably don't need very much extra CO2, and you shouldn't have high-light plants. Check the article out if you want a more in-depth answer.

Jon

The other thing that will raise your levels is trapping the CO2 under something & forcing it to have more contact with the water. I made a reactor out of a cut in half water bottle (to trap the CO2) & attached to a small pump so water is running across/under the trapped CO2 all the time to dissolve it. If the reservoir gets to full the extra just bubbles out.

the RedSea is some kind of DIY setup.
6wpg is overkill. How large a tank is this again? Please always post tank specs, or stick them in your signature.

Right now everything is in my 20L...but I'm going to be switching it over to a 30 soon. That will get me down to 4.something as far as light goes. Should do much better that way.

Back
Top Bottom