How do you prepare bogwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to try to create a blackwater aquarium and I'm using bogwood in my aquascape that I will buy at the petstore.

So, how do you prepare bogwood while allowing it to release tannins because I also want the water to turn brown? And does all bogwood release tannins?

Thanks,
Nicki Gaga

If you want really brown water use Mopani wood. Here's an old pic, mopani wood was soaking in my 125 to lose some of the tannins before I set up the tank. This is a 5 gallon bucket of water that had been in the tank for a week:

Tank looked like this:

I heard that mopani wood is endangered and is toxic to fish once it rots so I don't think it's a good idea. I would like to stick to bogwood and driftwood.

If it was toxic I'm sure word would have gotten around before now, I have some that's been in tanks for over 30 years. It has gotten a little smaller in that time, but nothing like other types of wood that have almost disappeared in much less time. Certainly hasn't poisoned any fish that I could tell.

I used a piece of 1-year old oak from my fireplace pile and it worked pretty awesomely.

So back to the question: how do you prepare any kind of aquarium wood so that it is safe for the fish but also releases tannins to create a blackwater effect?

Boil it for 3 min..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks!

But I thought you're supposed to boil and soak it for weeks before you put it in your tank :confused:

If you want the tannins out quick, where'd you get it? I've always flash boiled mine,.some up to 10 min and in the tank they go. From the lfs, not from a bog or whatever..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks!

But I thought you're supposed to boil and soak it for weeks before you put it in your tank :confused:
That's usually done to remove most of the tannins when you don't want the tannins to color your water and/or if it floats and you want to water-log it so it sinks. Otherwise, a quick boil is sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom