How Do You QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all4wheels2

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, this will be my second time battling ich and going through hyposalinity (because I'm hard-headed). After this, I'm just going to start keeping a QT up and running for any new fish - I'm tired of tearing down my tanks, catching fish, and then have one die a few days later.

My question:

For all of you that DO run a "new fish" QT (not for sick fish), do you use hyposalinity just as a precaution, or do keep all levels regular and just observe? And for how long?

I just watched the fish for two weeks for any sign of illness. Luckily I havent had any issues since I started qt'ing. :)

i just observe and treat as necessary. Why stress the fish out even more? i do 5 weeks, probably because i want 6 weeks and am impatient? if youre goign to run a qt make it at least a month or all the work is worthless imo.

Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out. Just watching them for 4 weeks could prove useless too. I could never see any signs of disease, then as soon as I put it in the DT with other fish...wham, ich.

So would it be better to just do hypo right off the back? Supposedly it's relaxing to the fish, but I'm not sure if it's detrimental to a healthy fish that doesn't have ich :(

*so confused*

Why do I heard ppl say they run copper in there qt tanks??

From the guess of it sounds like ur dt has the parasite and now definitely does if it didn't already. My sugestion would be remove all fish from dt for the life cycle of the parasite and then wait a week to put them back in. Keep ur cycle going by either adding amonia or feeding the fishless tank once or twice a week. This sounds drastic but it would be something I would do.

Ps perfect excuse for a new tank

Yep certainly needs to be done if the dt is infected. Leave empty for at least 6 weeks.

Some people use copper because it is very poisonous, certain fish are capable of handling copper better than others, however inverts cannot handle it, very low levels can destroy corals, and many parasites

I've already got all the fish out of the DT and in to a QT. I've started lowering the SG and am almost there.

This all sucks...mainly because, once again, I have to leave my DT empty for 6-8 weeks. But I know it's my fault. My $60 firefish died last night right after I got him in the QT, and that was the last draw lol. Of course, he was the visibly infected one as well.

After this round, I'm just going to leave the QT up and running. Every new fish is going in there for 30 days under hypo treatment :) Last time I went through this, I had a daily fight with the ammonia levels and the pH. Hopefully not dropping the SG too low will help that. But I'm pretty sure 4 fish in a 10g QT is going to keep me on my toes for the next 4 weeks :(

Any ideas to combat the ammonia/pH levels???

Back
Top Bottom