How do you ship live fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to give away some of my small fish, like tetras and guppies. How do I ship them and what kind of transport should I use?

Overnight or priority mail.

Double bagging inside a styrofoam box then insulated with heat or chill packs depending on temperature of destination. Some people use an oxygenation stone. Then pack in the cardboard box.

That's the way many retailers do it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Good shippers starve the fish 2 days prior to departure. Keeps levels down during travel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Overnight or priority mail.

Double bagging inside a styrofoam box then insulated with heat or chill packs depending on temperature of destination. Some people use an oxygenation stone. Then pack in the cardboard box.

That's the way many retailers do it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Make sure to label the box with "Live Fish" and "this side up" and stuff as well.

ideally you should use oxygen to bag them.
shipping costs for livestock are astronomical, you sure it's worth it for such "bread & butter" fish?

Whomever you are sending them to could probably get them at a local store for a fraction of what it will cost to ship them.

ideally you should use oxygen to bag them.
shipping costs for livestock are astronomical, you sure it's worth it for such "bread & butter" fish?

Whomever you are sending them to could probably get them at a local store for a fraction of what it will cost to ship them.

Definitely true. I only order fish not sold anywhere near me or would cost more in gas to get it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Okay. I guess it's better to give to a fish store. But what happens after the fish store takes them in? Do they, like flush my fish down the toilet?

most stores, if they take in livestock, will offer anywhere from 25%-50% of the retail value of the fish in credit.

But SOME people told me that if I give people to fish stores, all they will do is chuck them in the garbage. Is this true?

Uhhmmmm, fish stores are in it to make $$$, so unless your fish are sick it would be the same as throwing $$$ in the trash.
I ran a store for awhile and we never killed fish that customers brought in.

I've seen stores take fish for free, buy fish off of customers, and refuse to take fish, but I have never heard of a store throwing fish away.

Well, my fish aren't sick. So are you sure they just put them in the display tank for sale?

What does everyone think of kordon breather bags.
I will be test shipping GBR in the next weeks and just ordered some.
Kind of thought anything less was "sub" standard?

What does everyone think of kordon breather bags.
I will be test shipping GBR in the next weeks and just ordered some.
Kind of thought anything less was "sub" standard?

Yunite just sent me gbr in a kordon. Good enough for him so..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom