how do you spawn your bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might get more answers if you start your own thread. I had to figure mine out on my own.

So I still occasionally see the one fry in there, hopefully it survives, I did a small water change yesteday scooping water out with a glass and inspecting it for fry before dumping it. I know water changes are important for them to grow. This morning I saw and put some powdered fry food in and the little guy was nibbling on it so that's good.

breeding bettas

My son wanted a female and male and i never thought of breeding them until they began to spawn, after several weks she began getting very large and letting him herd her to his side of a 55 gallon half full tank. they melded for 2 days before she successfully let out her eggs. I did not do anything to keep the bottom clear and that reslulted in a loss of many babies, i also did catch them in time so the end result was 3 or 4 surviving babes from each clutch. i reccomment a lower tank level so he can retrieve the eggs and put them back. I also recommend you seperate them for a week or two before putting her inagain as he can really tear her up. also the water heated helps keep the little ones happy and grow faster. Be prepared to have Many little betta tanks in use. condidtion the water and let him do his job as daddy, if you have any other fish in the tank they will eat the offspring so deal with that however you see fit.
we really enjoy our little ones... oh we use a styrafoam cup cut inhalf layed on the open side against the glass it floats n the male LOVES to put his nest on it

Yes the tank is heated to a steady 80, and I did remove the female afterwards. I havnt seen any fry for a few days so I'm gonna try again in two weeks.

Good...I posted some dayes ago, encourging you to try again, but the post was removed becasue obviously I used too much internet langauge.
Anyway, its a good decision to try again, and even if you found one or two fry, its very difficult to raise them in a big tank, simply they will not be able to find the food easily and you will not be able to feed them easily.
Next time, the process should be much easier on the poor female, hopfully

Have you thought about putting fry in a breeding net so you can keep better track on whether or not they live? It easier to spot them somtimes in a smaller area.

absolutangel04 said:
Have you thought about putting fry in a breeding net so you can keep better track on whether or not they live? It easier to spot them somtimes in a smaller area.

I agree...in the next 2 weeks do that whenever you spot any fry.

Back
Top Bottom