How do you stack you aquaclear HOB filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milano11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I was wondering how everyone stacks their aquaclear HOB filters. I have been just using sponge carbon biomax and recently I added acurel ammonia reducing pads to the mix.
Hagen did the rebate where if you buy a filter and a years worth of inserts theyll send you another years worth for free so I have a crazy amount of carbon and foam, also have some of that zeo carb ammonia reducer ( never used it before though)

What inserts do you use?
How often do you change them?

Hey guys, I was wondering how everyone stacks their aquaclear HOB filters. I have been just using sponge carbon biomax and recently I added acurel ammonia reducing pads to the mix.
Hagen did the rebate where if you buy a filter and a years worth of inserts theyll send you another years worth for free so I have a crazy amount of carbon and foam, also have some of that zeo carb ammonia reducer ( never used it before though)

What inserts do you use?

I use 2 foams and one bio in one and two bio and one foam in the other foam on the bottom and bio on top. Carbon IMO is us less unless you're removing meds. And ammo chips aren't needed IMO either especially if the tank is well stocked and maintained.

I have foam on the bottom , ammonia remover and biomax. Sometimes I use two foams and biomax but the one tank is new so I was worrie about ammonia spikes. Maybe it was a waste of money to buy that?

Foam block on the bottom, bio-max rings on top and sandwiched in between is 100% polyfill..... On both my AC-70's.

I use, from bottom to top: sponge, polyfil, purigen, biorings.

Same here, although polyester batting instead of polyfil; although are those 2 the same thing?

I tried putting the purigen on top but the bag kept floating.

What inserts do you use?

I use foam and then biomax. I am changing it up soon. I will be using a sponge then purigen (in some tanks) and then matrix.

Sponge, purigen then bio max. The little area on the left I stuff it with poly fill.

My second one is sponge, polishing pads and then bio max.

Sponge, purigen then bio max. The little area on the left I stuff it with poly fill.

My second one is sponge, polishing pads and then bio max.

Interesting.

You don't have problems with the polyfil floating up or anything? Also I'm guessing you just toss it out every week or 2 and replace with brand new polyfil?

Back
Top Bottom