How do you store your salt mix safely?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a quick question regarding storage of the salt mix. I'm using instant ocean salt mix which comes in a box with 4 separate bags for a total of 200 gallons of mix, my question is what is the best way to store the remainder of the salt once the bag is opened? I'm not sure, but would a HD bucket with the sealed top be adequate, the cover has an rubber gasket built into it. I need to add some water and raise my salinity a little bit and wont do any thing till i hear from you because i have to open a fresh bag.

+1. I'd store the contents of the open bag in the sealed bucket. I appreciate the reminder.... I keep forgetting to get one! lol

Cool, I have to go to Depot to get some plumbing valves to fix a couple of problems at my mother inlaws house, I'll get a bucket or two witht the covers as well. Thanks Neilan, Roka and HN1. When I whipped up my first batch for a water change I couldn't believe how fast the salt starts to absorb the moisture in the air.

I agree, that HD buckets should work fine. That's what I use...too

I just keep my open bag in a large tuperware container. you don't need a bucket unless you are going to open all the bags at once. the container is very easy to store and very easy to access. you don't have to pull out a whole bucket everytime you need salt

I just keep my open bag in a large tuperware container. you don't need a bucket unless you are going to open all the bags at once. the container is very easy to store and very easy to access. you don't have to pull out a whole bucket everytime you need salt
My wife doesn't like that idea, besides I don't have one larger enough since we have been throwing all of our plastic food storage stuff out because of all the reports about the plastics the containers are made of leaching out chemicals under certain conditions into the food that is stored in them. I know it's a little extreme but refuse to take any chances I have two little ones myself and cancer has somehow become as common as the normal cold. You never know.

Hope you have found a solution! I use fresh sea water; I keep mine in 25l (6.6g) plastic container. Completely irrelevant but I thought I would say Hi.

I also use the IO 200g box. When I open a bag, I put the opened bag in an empty salt bucket...since I have more than you can imagine. In 20 yrs, you can accumulate lots of empty salt buckets. ;)

I also use the IO 200g box. When I open a bag, I put the opened bag in an empty salt bucket...since I have more than you can imagine. In 20 yrs, you can accumulate lots of empty salt buckets. ;)
I can imagine the size of your 20 collection. You know what's funny, The Family helped me demo and rebuild my house all the way down to the taping of the walls, I had about 35 empty joint compound buckets laying around 3 years ago and today cannot locate 1. Not that i would use them, I find it so funny that they got up and walked.

I keep my salt in a 5g pale in the garage and that also keeps all my fish supplies in one spot.

Ugh, I have fish supplies everywhere! LOL! I keep my water out of the garage because I work in there a bunch and am afraid of getting gas fumes or other stuff in my water. I keep my 32G in the back bedroom ,out of sight.

I have a question on storage, do you premix the water in a bucket and store it or wait til you need it. Seems to me a Bucketfull of water is heavy or do you have a pump that pumps it into the tank. " Sorry for the dumb question I'm a newbie at this".

Not a dumb question at all, because I used to lift the bucket up (on a 5 foot ladder) and use gravity to get the water in my tank, because I'm an idiot and didn't ask the same question. I use a ph and airline tubing to pump the water from the bucket to the tank.
I have a constant 30ish gallons of pre-mixed SW sitting at the ready, with a ph and heater running.

Last edited:
very nice. Since you are on do you use the chat on here? I need to talk to someone about equipment. I'm on the chat

Back
Top Bottom