How does an overflow + sump collect waste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SonicsDC25

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I just got a large tank with an internal overflow and sump system built under the tank. Now, I had a canister filter before this and HOB before that, which the waste would of course go up the intake. My question here is that, how does the waste get collected with an internal overflow/sump system? All I can really think of is the waste reaching the top of the surface and going down the overflow, but.. that doesn't seem possible or practical since I'm assuming it could cause clogs. Anyone with insight on this?

Thanks

With an over flow and sump, there are a few places where waste can be collected. In the over flow, sometimes there is a coarse cylindrical sponge to trap the larger waste. In the sump, depending on the design, mechanical filters such as floss, sponge, ceramic media, and filter socks can be used to trap smaller particles. Additional media such as purigen and other chemical media can be used to further clean the water.
From a design perspective, having the overflow draw water from the top of the tank whereas debris is typically found near the bottom may not sound practical. This is where good circulation via pumps come into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Fresh, I figured so (water circulation). I just transferred my 750GPH wavemaker from my 55g over, now the middle is waste free and by the side walls, it's where all the waste is gathered. Need to go buy another one now to somehow get all that waste to the surface to even have a chance to go down the overflow.

Back
Top Bottom