How Does My Stock List Look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chi_Cichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All,

I recently set up a 75g all male peacock/hap tank and am needing any advice, suggestions, or warnings with my planned stock list.

CURRENT STOCK (common names)

1. OB Hybrid Peacock
2. Firefish
3. Red Empress
4. Benga Sunshine
5. Taiwan Reef
6. Eureka Red Jake
7. Regal Blue (Was sold to me as a Ngara Flametail, but I'm pretty sure he's a Regal Blue. Will post pics for confirmation when I get one).

HERE IS WHAT I AM LOOKING TO ADD (fish will be ordered from Butch at Southeast Cichlids, all in one order).

8. Red Top Lwanda
9. Lemon Jake
10. Flavescent
11. Bi-Color 500
12. Ngara Flametail
13. Deep Water Hap
14. Electric Blue Iceberg (Sciaenochromis Fryeri Iceberg)
15. Z Rock / Sulfur Head Hap (Otopharynx Lithobates)
16. Otopharynx Tetrastigma

3-4 Synodontis Lucipinnis or another Syno species if I can't find Lucipinnis. I was leaning towards Lucipinnis because they stay relatively small compared to the other Syno species. Any suggestions?

So what do you guys think of my stock list, good, bad?

I originally planned to stock this tank with 20 cichlids, but ultimately decided against this number for fear of space issues. Do you think there are too many species of similar color? Any potential issues?

BTW, this tank is running an Aquatop CF500UV and a Aquaclear 110 HOB. I also have a Aqueon Quietflow30 just laying around so I will probably end up throwing this HOB on there as well. Can never have too much filtration! :D

Thanks in advance! :thanks:

Peacocks/haps aren't my forte so I'll only comment of the syno. If you want a smaller species, petricola is gonna be a good one. Technically, luccipinnis is the "dwarf petricola". Petricola get up to 4" but are mostly smaller than that

Peacocks/haps aren't my forte so I'll only comment of the syno. If you want a smaller species, petricola is gonna be a good one. Technically, luccipinnis is the "dwarf petricola". Petricola get up to 4" but are mostly smaller than that

Thanks for the info! I will def look into them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks pretty good, I think flavescent and ngara flaimetail are the same fish though. That might be a few too many fish. Especially with some larger haps, but not too bad. You also are looking at getting some fish that look very similar. It will be hard to get everyone to color up, and you could have some brutal fights between fish that look similar.

I would try to add all Juveniles of about the same size. If you added all adults it would be a blood bath.

Looks pretty good, I think flavescent and ngara flaimetail are the same fish though. That might be a few too many fish. Especially with some larger haps, but not too bad. You also are looking at getting some fish that look very similar. It will be hard to get everyone to color up, and you could have some brutal fights between fish that look similar.

I would try to add all Juveniles of about the same size. If you added all adults it would be a blood bath.

Hey squirrilah, thanks for your advice. I will look into the Ngara and Flavescent being the same fish. I would love to add all juvies, but I'm not sure that I would be guaranteed all males if I went this route.

As far as similar looking fish are concerned, can you point out any specific fish you feel I should eliminate from my list?

Thanks for your help!

It's hard to really predict. Like most of them have blue faces. Lemon jake, and Benga look a lot alike.

I don't want to tell you not to add certain fish, because the could all be fine, but just something to be aware of.

As your picking stock out, try to pick ones that the look the least like ones you already have.

Yea I see what you mean. Guess I will have to do a bit more thinking here. I do have an empty 36g bowfront I was thinking of setting up as a "timeout" tank for any potential bullies haha.

Any words of advice for me? Maybe you've found a particular species to be more aggressive?

Yea I see what you mean. Guess I will have to do a bit more thinking here. I do have an empty 36g bowfront I was thinking of setting up as a "timeout" tank for any potential bullies haha.

Any words of advice for me? Maybe you've found a particular species to be more aggressive?

Looking at your stock list. They are all pretty balanced as far as I know. And having a "timeout" tank is the perfect plan. I have one for my all male tank as well. Using at as quarantine tank at first is a good idea too. Not only to keep from getting diseases. But to allow the fish to distress and get used to your water, so when he joins the group he will be more able to fight off bullies, and hide.
You might have one or two fish that are just too aggressive, and it's best to rehome them. There will be fights for dominance, that is to be expected. It's usually when you have a super aggressive number 1. Also after you have remove the aggressive #1, the #2 that takes his place can be even worse.

Doing an all male tank can be a pain, and it takes a while to get the right balance. Don't get attached to anyone.
This article is really good.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/all-male_malawi.php

Thank you for all your help. I REALLY appreciate it. I'm sure I will experience the pains of having to rehome some fish, but here's to hopeing for the best. I will def be referring to you for some knowledge in the future. If you don't mind of course.

Nice setup you got there! Is that a Sulphur Head peacock? Did you add all your fish as juvies as well? I ask because It's been diffuclt trying to find all juvie males all at one spot. And I've had no luck with the local LFS either. Any ideas?

I bought all of mine as juveniles, I have had the Sulpher head peacock, and fryeri the longest. I've gotten a few, like the Lethrinops at 4" so still growing.

I've added 2-3 fish at a time over the last few years. I've actually been switching out fish, buying new ones, growing them out, selling/trading them to get new ones.

All the advice I heard was getting younger fish. They are more tolerant.
But you don't want to add adults with small fry.

If you were doing Mbuna or Victorians is say don't even try adding all adults, but with peacocks and haps you can probably get away with it.

There's so much individual variation with male Cichlid behavior so there really isn't a "rule" there's recommendations, but you absolutely could add all ADULTS and be just fine. Plus having that large side tank will help you sort them out a ton if you do have that super aggressive guy.

Peacocks and haps aren't known for being to aggressive though, and a lot on your list are pretty peaceful. I think you'll be fine, just again something to be aware of
The other concern is coloring. When you add Juvi's you have to wait A LONG TIME before they will color up, but generally they all will. If you take an adult who is used to a certain pecking order and then that changes he may color down quite a bit. Wether or not he colors back up just depends on how comfortable the fish is.

The general idea is you are overstocked, and have a healthy tank, and everyone is showing off their colors. Again it can take a really long time for everyone to color.

Squirrilah, as always, thank you. I appreciate the detailed explanation. When you say adults, are you referring to fish at 3-4" or 5-6" or are they both considered adults?

Also, I was planning on buying 8 fish at once to save on shipping costs, all at around 3-4" but do you advise against this? I was thinking add all to the QT, then after QT, add half to the main tank and the other half a week or so later? Would this be cruel? Just want to make sure I can do everything in my power to make them all happy and comfortable.

Random question, do you find that your peacocks hide in your rock work often?

3-4 inches is still a juvi in my book.
Your plan for the new adds sounds good, not ideal but makes total sense to order that many fish, rather than space it out and spend twice as much on shipping.

My peacocks often hide, not all of them, and not all of the time. It seems like they rotate who's turn it is to hide. Some are just more comfortable in the rocky caves. From what I understand it's really not until your overstocked and everyone is adult size that everyone will thrive and get along.
Takes a lot of patience, but worth it in the end.

Also want to point out. Beuse peacocks and haps aren't aggressive as Mbuna overstocking isn't that vital. It's still a good idea, and the same principles apply, but being fully stocked or one or two over will suffice, rather than the 5-6 fish over you'd want with Mbuna.
That being said your stocking list should be plenty.
If you can track any down id recommend a Auloncara chiwande type masinje, would be a really cool add to those fish.

Whew, that's a relief as all the fish I plan to order are between 3-4". I will keep an eye out for Auloncara chiwande type masinje. He would make a great addition to my stock list.

What number would you consider to be 1-2 fish overstocked? Would I already be there with my planned stock list of 16 fish?

*Sidenote- If all goes well, I should be placing my fish order sometime next week. I will keep you updated.

Anything new going on with your tank?

I think 16 in a 75 is a good number. You could probably even go up to 18-20.
I have 17 in my 55 but I'm going to be taking out at least three of them depending on which ones turn out the best.
I have a red shoulder and my Sulpher head that have been absolutely thrashed by an unknown assailant. They're in hospital, recovering, probably going to move them back after my water change today.
Everyone is growing super fast. Some as twice as big as they were in that video I showed, that I only shot like a month ago.

Ok, good to know I'm on the right track. I'm sorry to hear about your red shoulder and sulphur head. You ever figure out who the culprit was, or have any other fish showing similar symptoms since removing the other 2 to your hospital? Hopefully they do alright when you put them back in. I'm about to start doing some water changes soon myself!

What are you feeding/doing that they're growing so fast?! Haha. Also, where do you get your fish from usually?

I feed New Life Spectrum, and a mix spirulina and plankton based flakes. Krill as a treat.
I've gotten most of my fish from a local specialty fish store. And a few from livefishdirect.com. I didn't order from there the store is actually 15 minutes from my house.
I think the abuser is my albino socolofi, but I haven't seen any other marks on anybody. They should do fine going back though.

I also feed my cichlids NLS, along with some flakes from Kens Fish, and freeze dried/frozen krill, shrimp, and bloodworms on occasion as treats. What brand of spirulina and plankton based flakes are you feeding?

So I just got an email this morning that my specialty LFS is having a 50% off fish sale today! Usually they have juvie peacocks/haps that are around 3" regularly priced at $80! Planning on seeing what they got after work today. Or...I may just bite the bullet and order online since I'm pretty sure they will be of better stock if purchased online. Decisions, decisions.

Back
Top Bottom