How does this sound for a 72 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's the bid for from my LFS for my 72 gallon bowfront. Let me know your opinions or if you see something that's missing.

AGA Tank W/overflow & Stand $472.98
Oceanic Canopy $129.99
Ocenaic Sump Reefready Model 1 $109.08
Baby G Skimmer $149.99
16"/100 M. Bag w/draw string(what is this?) $11.99
EUG Pump Mag Drive 9.5 $110.45
Figi Live Rock $224.50
Tonga Live Rock $187.25
Overflow Accessory kit $63.99
AQS Heater Stealth 200w $38.99
Coral Sand #3 50 lb $55
Energy Savings Fxtr Lunar Aqualt 48in260w(is this pc or T5?) $293
Black Vinyl backing $20
Installation(I think this is putting together the plumbing) $130
Delivery $90
Plumbing Parts $45
ESU Thermometer $9.99
Oceanic Salt 90G mix $29.99
Energy Savings Hydrometer $11.99
Energy Savings Turbotwist UV 3X 9W $107.56

This all adds up to $2,448.72 with tax. What do you think? Is this lighting enought to do most soft corals?

Let me know your opinions.

thanks alot.

Considering this is all from a LFS, the prices probably aren't too bad.

Tank & stand seem a little high. I just paid $280 for my Perfecto 125RR. Overflow kit $64? Not sure how AGA does it, but my tank came with all the plumbing for the overflows. Add that to the price of the tank and it seems to be on the high side. Plus another $45 for plumbing parts? So the tank/stand price is now up to about $575...which seems high to me.

Baby G skimmer...IMO is too small for a 72, even tho they say it's rated for a 75. It only has a 4.5" diameter body.

16" 100 micron mesh bag.....$12 seems way too expensive.

How much rock for that $?

Need more info on lights, but for that price my guess is pc's.

$20 for a black piece of vinyl for the back of your tank? wow

Replace the hydrometer with a refractometer.

I agree with cccapt. Definitely spring for the refractometer. You can also shave some costs by using some base or lace rock. Now that you have an idea of what you want. Look online an compare some prices. I bet you'll find some better deals, probably on most of the equipment, except for the tank and stand (since you will probably have to pay shipping). I found it is usually cheaper to have your LFS special order a tank and stand (mine barely charged me more than cost on my 125 and stand).

Agree with the others. Main questions are...

How many pounds of rock? Nail them down on that. You're looking for 100-140 lbs for that size tank.

Agree that while the skimmer is a decent one, it's undersized for the tank. My skimmer is rated for a tank twice my size. Doubling up on the capacity seems like a good deal.

The lights are Coralife. Their "other" name is "Energy Savers". Same with the thermometer. Your LFS understands their competition because the price on the lights are about the same as you'd get on the internet. Oh... and they're PC with LED lunar lights. Nice lights for low-medium light LPS corals, (as well as soft corals, mushrooms, and zoanthids) in my opinion.

Agree that you'll want a refractometer not long after you start trying to use the hydrometer. Might as well go that way to start with. I notice they're not throwing in any test kits. You're going to need the basics when you cycle - pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and then you'll probably want phosphate, calcium, and alkalinity once you get up and running.

While it seems like a good package deal, I'm sure that if you did your homework, and put together your own package, you could spend the same amount of money and get "more" for your money.

[edit: Oh... also seems like the heater is a little undersized for your tank size. Unless you live somewhere that it's always warm, 200W for 72g seems small. I have 2x 100W heaters on my 46g and it seems just right. House temp varies between 70 and 64 during the winter, and 70-80 during the summer.

Also... they didn't include any powerheads for water movement within the tank. The return pump alone isn't going to do it.

Oh... and the filter sock (16"/100 M. Bag w/draw string(what is this?) $11.99) is a thing that goes over the inlet to your sump to keep the big gunk from getting into it and going through your return pump.]

Unless you are dead set on buying new and picky about exactly what type of equipment you want, I would look into some local deals on used. I was able to pick up a 75gal that was completely setup and running, including the live rock and sand for $400. That left me with a lot of room to change out specific equipment if I want to.

I ditto what the others have said. For instance, the Mag 9.5 pump is available for $69.99 at PetSolutions right now, but the light fixture is priced the same as online (if it is a Coralife).

Definitely get a skimmer rated higher than the baby G, and a refractometer, some power heads and some test kits.

I have a 72g Bow and paid $199 for the tank alone. The bowfront and wave tanks are more expensive then standard tanks.
I agree with a lot of what was said above about checking other places for the equipment.
The Mag 9.5 I would never pay more then $70 for it. Also the Baby G is not going to cut it for your tank. You need at least a G2 if you are going to stick with ASM. The baby G would do well on a 29g tank.

Most of the time AGA tanks will include the overflow kit with a drilled tank. Whether the LFS is adding that to the cost of the tank or making you pay for it again is a different story. Take the list of equipment you have there and look for it on the web. I can guarantee you will find much better prices! As for the light I would go with the T5 option. The bulbs will last longer and you will get better PAR rating from them.

Unless you are just wanting to get everything all at once I would do a little online shopping. If you want to spend the money at your LFS then go for it but I think you can use the same amount of money and get better equipment and more things you will need.

Thanks for the responses. I have looked online and have found some things to quite a bit cheaper. The only reason i was looking to buy everything from the LFS was because I am a complete newbie. I have no idea how all of the plumbing parts all work together. Is this something I could with help on the board?

Where do you live? I'm sure that there is a memember near you that would be willing to help you out! I have helped several people in my area with plumbing questions and designs. Even if you got everything from the LFS you are still going to have to set it up unless you pay them a healthy fee to come help you out. If nothing else let me know and I'll call you and walk you through it!

Don't worry I wasted quite a bit of my hard earned cash at the LFS buying things that were marked up over 50%, just to find there was a better, less expensive piece of equipment online. Generally, I buy my dry goods online and most of my fish/inverts at the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom