How hard is saltwater fishkeeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anne_fong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I always hear about saltwater tanks and see the kinds of fish that you can get and they are truly spectacular looking fish. :) just wondering how hard it is to keep saltwater tanks and what is involved?

It's really not that much harder than freshwater. Just more expensive. And you need to plan more. Be slow and careful the first time because some mess ups will destroy your tank

How much more difficult it is depends on how active a person is in their FW fish keeping. The SW tank should be tested everyday for amm, nitrites and nitrates for about the first 2 months, maybe a little longer, depending on how long the cycle is. After that, weekly should be ok if water params are stable and good. Other than that, it's regular PWCs.
But some FW tank owners don't test their tank at all, and some set the tank up and add fish that same day. SW should be done slowly and the equipment, fish and coral aren't cheap at all.

Honestly not as hard as you may think (least for me). I've had freshwater tanks for 20 plus years. The hardest thing was probably research, which I spent 20 one more hours doing, but highly recommended. There's a lot of great places to get info (here included). Also what I've found is on certain things people have different input so there's no wrong way just different ways. I was nervous At first, but its gone really well for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom