How Heavy a Tank Can I Go on the 2nd floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfishguy56

Aquarium Advice Activist
I live on the 1st floor, but will be moving in a few weeks to a 2nd floor apartment. I currently have a 55gal Fish Only Live Rock set up
75lbs of Live Rock
30lbs of sand
10 gallon sump/refugium

I've done some research and i learned a 55 gal tank filled with water weighs approx. 625lbs. By my poor math calculations, my current set up weighs approx. 810lbs.
I would like to go a little bit bigger, maybe a 75gal, but i worry my downstairs neighbor will wake up one morning with a new sky light and new aquarium in his living room.
Should I just play it safe and stay with my 55gal set up or can I go to 75gal without much worry?
Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

When in doubt, ask a professional.. I'd get a surveyor or engineer or whatever to come check the place out properly. It would be a small price to pay for some peace of mind.

I am not engineer, but I think is would be Ok. Just make sure you put the tank on multiple beams and not running parrel with them. My townhome sits on top of my garage and I was a bit neverous with my 55 Gal, but so far so good 8O . But I agree with Atari. I would have someone check it out for you. You never know what going on under the floor.

I'm an engineer and I'd tell you that it all depends on the location in relation to load bearing walls. Bu t you can also think of it this way, would you worry about four 200 pound people standing shoulder to shoulder? Probably not. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just tell your fish not to jump around.

Jim

Thanx for all the quick replies. Either tank would be placed against the wall that divides one apartment from the other, so would that be considered a Load Bearing Wall?

not necessarily on the dividing walls. I have drawn some complexes that they were just that "dividing walls", I would suggest that you try and find out which way the joists ate running and place the tank perpendicular to them. Also either tank would probably be fine unless you will have funriture or other heavy objects about the same area

Ok, I have more questions..
1. Is there a way to tell, superficially, the difference between a "Dividing Wall" and "load Bearing Wall"? I understand that the center wall dividing the living room and the bedroom is a load bearing wall, but why wouldn't the wall dividing each apartment be "load bearing"?
2. Am I just over thinking this and letting my paranoia get the best of me?
3. Why do I find this entire conversation so interesting? :)

no way to tell just by looking at the wall. If you can get into the ceiling you could tell from there but that's the only way. You might be able to get the complex staff to find out for you. As yakslpat said though not to worry about it to much. Just keep weight around it to a minimum.

Am I just over thinking this and letting my paranoia get the best of me?

yeah

Just go for it, make sure you have renters insurance to cover the tank if it falls through, no big deal :p

55 gallons of water weighs 465 pounds. The tank, stand, rocks and sand will add something to this, but not as much as you are estimating. Three good sized men weigh as much, and floors don't fall through from the weight of three people. No worries, mate.

Many rentors insurance only covers loss of your property, not damage you cause to other peoples property so read the fine print.

Look at it this way the tank is 55 gallons with 75 pounds of live rock in the tank it's not really 55 gallons of saltwater...more like 40 something gallons plus the sump.

I live on the second floor and my 50 gallon is fine. I do live in the corner apartment with the laundry room below...very quite so I'm guessing well built building. My landloard did not bat an eye when I asked him about my tank..

I think 75 gallons would be the limit, most places are built to handle 600-800 pounds.
They have to have codes on that sort of thing depending on age of the building, ask a building contractor or city hall records on the actual apartments specs.

SpeckledGrouper said:
Wouldn't a water bed weigh much more? If the building says water beds are ok, then why shouldn't the tank be?

Water beds also have a much larger foot print. So if the water filled portion is a foot think, then the maximum pressure under it is 62 lb / sqft. That's not too much. A 55 gallon tank on the other hand, taking mine for example:

55 gallons water (inc sump): 465
stand:70
tank:50 (not sure on this)
rock:130
sand: 100

total : 815 lb on roughly 4 square feet

or 204 lb/sqft, about 3x the load of a waterbed.

Hope that helps

Jim

Back
Top Bottom