How high can nitrates be

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My nitrates seem to have been running high lately and wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. My goal is to keep nitrates under 20 ppm but is it ok if it goes higher? I'm not trying to be lazy but I'm just wondering.

jackwagon said:
My nitrates seem to have been running high lately and wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. My goal is to keep nitrates under 20 ppm but is it ok if it goes higher? I'm not trying to be lazy but I'm just wondering.

IMO ideally you want it around 10-20ppm. I always have nitrAtes in my 75g African tank. Sometimes it's been as high as 160ppm!! I just keep doing water changes to get it back down but I NEVER see 0ppm nitrAtes in my tank. Always orange for me. That's just me though. But I do believe a little nitrAte reading is normal in a cycled tank. It's the ammonia and nitrites that should be 0. Hope this helps.

The generally accepted upper limit is 40ppm. Where this number came from I can't say, but, it is bandied about. Of course, the lower the better.

Mine has never gotten to 40 before so I'll just keep doing water changes as needed thanks

Back
Top Bottom