How important is alkalinity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjcatlin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday, I tested my water and I saw that the alkalinity was at zero, it has always been that way. The rest of the readings were good though.

Alkalinity is important to prevent pH swings. An alkalinity of zero is not good. It is possible that your tank is buffered by something else, but not guaranteed. If your pH stays constant, then it's buffered by SOMETHING, and I wouldn't mess with it. I'd measure your pH throughout the weekend pretty often, maybe every two hours or so just to see what happens.

I generally associate "alkalinity" with carbonate alkalinity, so I was guessing KH. (Since in the wild most alkalinity is carbonate alkalinity)

A "0" reading really doesn't matter unless you have very specfic inverts or corals.

Alkalinity is nothing more then the waters ability to to neutralize a given acid- hence, question the testing method used.

If nitrates, nitrites, and phosporous are ok- happy reefing to ya- your ok.

Most important are water temp's, and obviously, the aforementioned. If you have a good set up (sump & skimmer that are sized correctly, and good live rock) let mother nature do her job- this takes time.

Remember, only top off with RO/DI water, you'll be fine.

A "0" reading really doesn't matter unless you have very specfic inverts or corals.

Alkalinity is nothing more then the waters ability to to neutralize a given acid- hence, question the testing method used.

If nitrates, nitrites, and phosporous are ok- happy reefing to ya- your ok.

Most important are water temp's, and obviously, the aforementioned. If you have a good set up (sump & skimmer that are sized correctly, and good live rock) let mother nature do her job- this takes time.

Remember, only top off with RO/DI water, you'll be fine.
glad it seems to be a fw set up since its in the fw section and not have to worry about that lol

Alpha, this is FW so that advice needs to be adapted a little.

KH (carbonate hardness) is a measure of the water's ability to maintain pH, among other things.

It's important, but if you do frequent water changes that will keep your pH from crashing anyway.

Edit: MG beat me to that :p

Maybe. I have 49% well water with 11KH so it's not definite. You can just buy some crushed coral and drop a palm-ful or three into your HOB or canister.

Crushed coral should raise your kh.

I don't think carbon has anything to do with kh. I think it only sucks up organics within the water.

Crushed coral is made of of shells, which are made up of calcium carbonate. When it dissolves, it raises your kH

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom